10 Gifts Your Girlfriend Actually Wants

It’s getting close to that time of year again when you have to find the perfect gift ideas for your girlfriend. The witches come out to frighten you and ghosts of ex-girlfriends’ past haunt your every waking moment.

I’m not referring to Halloween, when all you have to do is give her a little candy and you’ll get lucky in superhero costumes. I’m talking about the time when you have to go above and beyond that adorable three scoop kitty tee. (Although, maybe not the worst idea if you’re on a budget).

Your girlfriend will go crazy if you take it a step further, like with this three scoops of kitty blanket that says warmth, love and kittens all in one:

kitty cone blanket gift for girlfriend

Getting incredible Christmas gifts for your girlfriend is easy!

When it comes to her 21st Birthday, Valentine’s Day, Christmas or Hanukkah the stakes are high. Sure these moments are meant to be a time of love and giving, but they could just as easily turn into scary moments if you decide to throw a pair of socks and a Family Guy-themed desk calendar her way.

Don’t worry, College Magazine is here to help with your gift-giving worries. This list is perfect for Christmas gifts for your girlfriend and good birthday gift ideas. Why? Because we went directly to the source. Your girlfriend

Top 10 best Christmas gifts and best birthday gifts for your girlfriend.

We asked girlfriends nationwide to come up with a list of the best gifts for your girlfriend for the holidays or any day really. Without further ado…

1. Thoughtful Photo Album or Frame

Matthew McConaughey gif when he gets the photo album gift.

Need a stellar Christmas gift idea for your girlfriend? Find the latest photos of you and your girlfriend from Instagram and Facebook and *gasp* print them. Then go to a local crafts store and buy an album or create your own.

The simple Forever Photo Album will do. An album that predicts what your kids will look like may be taking it a bit far…If you want to get sentimental but keep it simple, go with a Kate Spade picture frame for your favorite couple pose.

“I like sentimental things, so if he was able to put something together like a photo album or scrapbook that is meaningful to our relationship that would be so cute.” -Chelsea Tirrell, Senior, Hofstra University

“My favorite gift was a scrapbook of photos of us that he made for me. It meant a lot to me because took the time to pick the pictures and sat down to think about all our great memories. I love that I can look back on the book for years to come.” -Olivia Jenning, Junior, Florida State University

kate spade photo frame gift for girlfriend

Kate Spade Picture Frame: $39.95

Hanging picture frame gift for your girlfriend

Umbra Fotochain Picture Frames: $34.99

10 More Incredible Gift Ideas & Gifts for Your Girlfriend

Did you know that “receiving gifts” is in fact a love language? In his book The 5 Love Languages, Gary Chapman doesn’t refer to the materialistic aspect of giving gifts. Think past the item.

love languages gifts for your girlfriend

The effort and thoughtfulness behind a gift for your girlfriend means more than the gift itself. That means pouring time and love into gift ideas for your girlfriend, whether it be for a holiday, your girlfriend’s birthday, anniversary or just because.

Not sure where to start? Narrow down that gift for your girlfriend by investigating beyond the obvious:

1. Ask your girlfriend’s best friends.
  2. Consider her hobbies. Find something that will make that hobby more fun, exciting or easy
  3. Search GroupOn for an experience she’ll love, like skydiving, a hot air balloon ride or a paint night.
  4. Buy her a luxurious experience—like a spa day or weekend away—to let her finally indulge.
  5. Find something uniquely her. For example, if she loves owls, buy her owl mugs or cute owl tee.

No matter what you come up with, make sure your gift idea for your girlfriend comes wrapped with a thoughtful hand-written card.

The card’s message will show her you really care. Gift giving is a language. Become fluent in it like Jack from This Is Us and your girlfriend will melt into your arms forever.

Top 10 Gifts Your Girlfriend Actually Wants 2018

1. Shadow Box

shadow box gifts for girlfriend idea

Some sentimental S.O.s have discovered a cheat code to buying gifts for your girlfriend. When you’ve bought almost everything else on the list for your girlfriend, buy her a gift to hold all of the other gifts. Wait—what?

“Being that we’ve been together so long, my boyfriend has gotten me a bunch of gifts for holidays, anniversaries, etc. But I’d say my all-time favorite would be tickets to a concert. He surprised me with tickets to my favorite band and we had AMAZING seats,” University of Central Florida junior Siera Siedl said.

Siera’s boyfriend can’t recreate that concert experience. But he can commemorate it with a shadow box filled with the tickets, movie stubs from their first date, bottle caps, you name it, as reminders of all their best dates.

Basketball players honor great seasons by retiring their jerseys and displaying them on the wall; great baes honor their girlfriends by retiring mementos and displaying them in a shadow box. Talk about a creative gift for your girlfriend.

2. Promise Ring with Birthstones

promise ring gift for your girlfriend
One up your childhood pinky promise with a ring finger promise. Some might shy away from PDA like kissing and holding hands to show off your commitment to one another. Bling your girl out with the message instead.

“My boyfriend gave me a promise ring for our one year anniversary and it was just the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It had our birth stones connected. It was just so beautiful and meaningful,” University of Florida junior Hannah Wilson said.

Personalizing the ring will show your girlfriend how much thought you put into the promise ring. Plus the ring will represent you and your girlfriend equally minus any cringe-worthy matching outfits.

“My boyfriend gave me this beautiful pink floral ring from Pandora. He said it was our promise ring so it has a lot of sentimental value to it, which is what I love most about it,” said Stacey Rodriguez, sophomore at Palm Beach Community College.

3. Desk Decs

desk decorations gift ideas for your girlfriend

Make sure your girlfriend thinks of you during her 9 to 5 to match your 24/7. Buying her a beautiful small item to place where she’ll see it the most like her desk at home or at work. In the early stages of a relationship, the desk dec will quickly trigger thoughts of you without needing to bombard her Snapchat.

For maximum results, get a gift for your girlfriend that show her you care through trinkets that you know—cue Julie Andrews—a few of her favorite things.

“I really like trees even more then flowers and I used to always wear this tree necklace. One time my boyfriend surprised me by leaving a little metal tree in my room with a note,” Temple University junior Claudia Murtha said.

“To me, it doesn’t matter how much the gift is or what it is just the fact that he thought of me is what matters the most and that’s what makes the best gifts that I could ever receive.”

4. A Manicure

manicure gift for your girlfriend

manicure gift for your girlfriend

Dive into your girlfriend’s mid-week sanctuary. No matter how hectic a woman’s life gets, someone massaging, lotioning, grooming and painting pretty colors on her hands will make her feel 10 times—or 20 times if she also gets a pedicure—better.

“I’m on a college student budget, so I tend to give myself my own manicures, but I’ve always wanted my S.O. to pay for one for me as a gift,” Florida State University sophomore Kate Reitz said. If you can afford it, pick up the tab on your girl’s trip.

If you have the time, hop in the chair next to her and treat her to a freshly manicured partner on the side. If these options don’t work, skip plan C and go right to plan D…IY gift for your girlfriend. Pick up all the pro tools for your girlfriend to use at home.

5. Monogrammed Necklace

monogram necklace gift for your girlfriend
“Girls want gifts that are specific to them and not something that a guy could’ve given an ex,” said UF sophomore Allison Hollaway.

Don’t make the mistake of re-gifting the heart-shaped locket your ex returned after a tearful goodbye. Your new bae will look through your ex’s Instagram and she will not be happy to see that locket around your ex’s neck seven months ago.

My favorite gift is probably my preppy monogram necklace because it’s unique specifically to me,” Hollaway said.

Your girlfriend can wear her initials around her neck every day and she’ll think of you. Find a monogrammed necklace that matches with most of what your girlfriend wears, whether that be black, brown, pearl, gold, silver or a funky color.

6. KitchenAid Stand Mixer

mixer gift for your girlfriend

The kitchen is not, I repeat, NOT a woman’s place.

When she returns home from the boardroom though, she might crave a batch of her grandmother’s homemade double chocolate chunk brownies. The gift of efficiency comes with rewards. Cut the baking time in half with a KitchenAid Stand Mixer that will do the mixing for her.

Plus, this gift for your girlfriend looks boss, shining bright in the kitchen.

“[I love] my KitchenAid Mixer because it makes cooking fun and it’s my favorite color, cobalt blue,” said FSU recent graduate Karen Popovich.

The KitchenAid Mixers come in almost every color in the rainbow so pick her favorite color and she’ll know you pay attention. And if your girl loves to cook, KitchenAid also sells attachments that’ll let her juice, stuff pasta and more with one appliance.

7. Pandora Bracelet and Charms Bracelet

charm bracelet gift for your girlfriend

Pandora Charm Bracelets are the gift that keep on giving. Save yourself the stress every time a holiday, birthday or anniversary comes around.

After you buy her the actual charm bracelet, keep adding to it with charms that represent your time together.

“The best gift I’ve ever received was a Pandora charm bracelet… Each charm had a meaning special to me and to him,” said Northern Virginia Community College sophomore Lexi Viernes.

Did you take her to Disney World? Buy her a heart-shaped charm with Mickey and Minnie kissing on it. If you took her skiing for the first time, find a snowflake charm.

8. Makeup & Vanity Mirror

make up gift for your girlfriendvanity mirror gift for your girlfriend

You know she looks gorgeous without makeup. But if she spends hours before going out perfecting her winged eyeliner, show her you appreciate her efforts.

“Makeup is usually my favorite gift. Not so much because it is a girly thing or whatever, but because it shows that my boyfriend recognizes my interest and is willing to learn more about something that he may not necessarily care about in order to make me happy,” said FSU recent graduate Katie Flanigan.

Feeling lost in a sea of Sephora products? Take a peek in her makeup bag to see what brands she uses.

Or count on trusted makeup brands like Tarte, Too Faced, Urban Decay, Stila and whatever her roomie/BFF said she will love to guide you.

BONUS: Complete her makeup setup with a vanity mirror that will give her the perfect lighting to add a pop of color to her eyeshadow. “I do my makeup almost every day so a vanity mirror would be a great gift, ” said Palm Beach Community College sophomore Nicolle Cutolo.

9. Disney World
matching Disney tees gift for your girlfriend

Make unforgettable memories with bae at the Happiest Place on Earth. You get to relive your favorite Disney childhood movies live an in color on rides like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Peter Pan’s Flight in Magic Kingdom. Or eat and drink around the world on a budget at Epcot.

“My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Florida. I just turned 21 and he bought us tickets to Disney for my birthday,” said Pace University senior Chelsea Chuck.

Sneak in a stop at Disney’s Hollywood Studios to check out the brand-new lands like Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land.

Or discover a new world at Pandora: The World of Avatar in Animal Kingdom. Make the experience even more ‘Gram-able and surprise her with matching t-shirts for cheesy pictures together in front of Cinderella’s Castle.

10. An Actual Engagement Ring

engagement ring gift for your girlfriend

She’s the one. After years with your college or even high school sweetheart, you feel confident and ready to start a new life together.

“I never let myself splurge. If my boyfriend gave me jewelry it would make me feel special that he got me something I never get to have,” said FSU recent graduate Jazmine Goodman. “He could also give me an engagement ring.”

Talk to her best friends, maybe even consult her parents to find out what ring she’ll feel proud to wear forever. Before you drop all that cash, learn about the four C’s (Carat, Color, Clarity and Cut).

Your girlfriend is your biggest investment—but her engagement ring comes in at a close second. Do your research on quality and certification to make sure you get this right. And once you hit that fiancé status, finding gifts for your future wife will prove even more of a challenge.

Good luck, champ!

Need more gift ideas for your girlfriend?

Check out our extended list of gifts you can get in an instant. It’s super easy to get the gift she loves if you’ve been listening to every hint she’s dropped all year long. We’re kidding!

It’s much easier to get a gift your girlfriend will love if you simply put a little thought into it. That’s why we made your life easier with our list of gifts that girls have actually said they wanted. If you read the list, and think about the best fit for your girlfriend, you can’t go wrong. These are tried and true.

Even more gift ideas perfect for ymakeupour girlfriend.

11. Love Bracelet

alex ani bracelet gift for girlfriend
Alex and Ani Love Spiritual Armor Bracelet: $46.90

12. Coffee Obsessed Love

gifts for girlfriend stressed blessed coffee obsessed tank top 

Coffee Obsessed Racerback Tank: $24.99

13. Hot Tech Love
Echo dot Christmas gift for your girlfriend

All-New Echo Dot: $49.99

14. Rayban Love

Gift your girlfriend Ray Bans

Ray-Ban Erika Sunglasses: $140.00

15. Whimsical Love

gift for girlfriend jellyfish clouds shower curtain

Jelly Clouds Shower Curtain: $29.99

16. Smoky Love

make up gift for girlfriend

Tarte Eyeshadow Palette: $159.86

17. An Adorable Book

Me without You: $5.90

18. A Thoughtful Throw Pillow

jane eyre throw pillow gifts for girlfriend

Buy Now

19. Cat Love

Adorable cuddly cat tapestry gift for your girlfriend

Cuddly Cat Tapestry: $45.00

20. The Best Way to Read
Kindle Oasis E-reader gift for girlfriend

Kindle Oasis E-reader: $249.99

21. Wanderlust Love

Shooting Star Wanderlust Tapestry gift for your girlfriend

Buy Now

22. A Love Mug

You’re My Lobster Mug: $16.95 OR You’re my person mug: $22.00

23. Art Love
punch trunk love elephant tapestry gift for your girlfriend
Punch Trunk Love Tapestry: $45.00

24. Literary Love

We lose ourselves blankets are perfect gifts for your girlfriend

We Lose Ourselves Blanket: $49.99

25. Trendy Backpack

backpack gift for girlfriend

Herschel Little America Backpack: $86.85

26. Cuddle Love

kitty cone duvet cover gift for girlfriend

Kitty Cone Duvet Cover: $89.99

Or one of these awesome duvets, almost guaranteed to get you some cuddle buddy action…

27. Gorgeous Earrings

rose gold earrings gift for your girlfriend

10k Rose Gold Round Stud Earrings: $97.65

28. Treat Yo Self Love

treat yo self tank gift for girlfriend

Buy Now

29. Quirky Gift for Long Nights Studying

Ramen Bowl with Chopsticks: $16.95

30. Succulent Love

succulent blanket gift for girlfriend

Buy Now

31. A Journal

journal gift for your girlfriend

Journal with White Embossed Suede Cover: $30.00

32. Fitness Love

fitness fitbit gift for your girlfriend

Fitbit Alta HR: $149.93

33. Clever Tee that Says “I Get You”

Mew Yorker Tee Gift for your Girlfriend

Buy Now

OR

lgbt outfitters i'm magical tank top for your girlfriend

Buy Now

34. Bike Love

Bike Gift for Your Girlfriend
PUBLIC Dutch Style City Bike: $470.51

35. Photography Love

Canon Digital Camera Gift for Your Girlfriend

Canon EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Kit: $394.00

36. Indulgent Love

treat yo self blanket gift for girlfriend

Treat Yo Self Blanket: $49.99

37. Panini Love
panini maker gift for your girlfriend

Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler: $79.99

38. Personalized Love
Name necklace christmas gift for your girlfriend
10k Gold Personalized Name Necklace: $99.00

“I think getting a necklace out of the blue would be a great gift. It would definitely make my day.” -Gabrielle Loureiro, Sophomore, Construction Management Major, University of Florida

39. Adventurer Cozy Blanket

light through duvet gift for girlfriend

Buy Now

40. A Sexy Boot

A sexy boot gift for your girlfriend
Vince Camuto Boot: $74.58 and up

41. Gorgeous Watch 

watch gift for girlfriend

Kate Spade Women’s Smart Watch: $325.00

Or if you’re ready to spend it all on her….Salvatore Ferragamo Rose Gold Watch.

42. High Quality Sound Love 

wireless speaker Christmas gift for your girlfriend

Libratone Multi-Room Wireless Speaker: $269.00

Buy Now

43. Hipster Music Love
turntable gifts for your girlfriend

1byone Turntable with Built in Speakers: $62.99

44. Robot Love
sphero robot gift for your girlfriend

Sphero 2.0: App-Controlled Robot Ball: $130.43

45. Classic Photo Love

Instax Christmas gifts for girlfriend

Buy Now

46. Motivation Love

hang in there shower curtain gift for your girlfriend

Buy Now

47. Creative Love

MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen gift for girlfriend

MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen: $69.99

48. Handmade Love
knit scarf gift for your girlfriend

Oversized Knit Scarf : $74.95

49. Celestial Love

gift for girlfriend duvet cover

Celestial Fireworks Duvet Cover: $84.99

50. Instant Photo Love

Buy Now

51. Prickly Love

prickly pattern shower curtain

Prickly Pattern Shower Curtain: $49.99

52. Cuddly Love

teddy bear gift for your girlfriend

Vermont Teddy Bear: $29.99

“I have memories that I can forget, so teddy bears are a good reminder. Plus, I can sleep with it.” -Audrey Nerette, Senior, Civil Engineering Major, Penn State University

53. Organized Love

planner gift for your girlfriend

Erin Condren LifePlanner: $29.99

54. Smart Love

apple watch girlfriend gift

Apple Smart Watch: $329.90

55. Flower Love
red roses gift for your girlfriend

Two Dozen Red Roses: $43.81

“I’d want my boyfriend to get me calla lilies just because it’s Tuesday.” -Nadira Guerrero, Sophomore, Criminology and Law Major, University of Florida

56. Overnight Love

duffle bag gift for your girlfriend

Herschel Supply Co. Novel Duffle Bag: $99.99

57. Movie Love

Netflix Subscription: Priceless

“A movie night would be a lot of fun, especially if it was a really long movie. If we watched a movie together and I got to eat all the popcorn all wanted, then I’d be a happy camper.” -Yasmeen Brooks, Sophomore, Public Health Major, University of Maryland

58. Serious Camera Love

camera gift for your girlfriend

Sony Alpha a5000 Mirrorless Digital Camera: $449.85

59. Running Love

running shoe gift for your girlfriend

Nike Women’s Running Shoe: $85.00

60. Laptop Love

Apple MacBook Air: $810.00

61. Coordinates of Your Love

Coordinates necklace gift for girlfriend

Coordinates Bar Necklace Sterling Silver: $38.00