CM’s Guide to Syracuse University

You cross the quad on the first warm day of the spring semester. During the 2-minute walk, you see a girl wearing Greek letters. She speaks loudly on her iPhone and says “like” about 15 times. Your eyes move to a group of people that have hung hammocks in the trees where they nap between classes. A pair of architecture students takes measurements with weird-looking instruments on a sidewalk, somebody strums a guitar and you duck to avoid a wayward Frisbee. A French class has formed a circle along the concrete benches of the Orange Grove, excitedly chatting that class has been moved outdoors.

Warm days like this make you wonder where these people have been hiding during the cold Syracuse winter. They appear stereotypical, but here it’s never that simple. With over 300 student organizations, publications and clubs on campus, you’ll never find a definitive way to categorize each person on the quad.

Recently ranked the #1 party school in the country, Syracuse students know how to have fun, especially the Greeks. After 11pm the campus resembles a Halloween party as tutu-clad sorority girls stumble through the snow in heels on their way to themed parties.

SU gives students that big school feel with a small school vibe. The university’s endowment, resources and alumni network rival those of large public universities. At first sight the campus seems large, with classic historic buildings framed by overgrown ivy but unlike enormous public universities you can’t walk anywhere without running into a friend.

THE VIBE: PARTY ANIMAL’S PARADISE

BRAGGING RIGHTS

No. 1 Party School (2014 Princeton Review)

No. 2 College Newspaper: The Daily Orange

The Newhouse School of Public Communications

Snow (126.3” in 2014)

Men’s Basketball

Carrier Dome (Largest Domed College Stadium in the Country)

GETTING IN

Average GPA: 3.6

Average SAT score: 1610-1870 (in 2010)

cuse2Where We Live

Death to the Dining Hall

Where We Study

I Don’t Eat Meat

Where We Study Abroad

Caffeine Fix

Goodbye Freshman 15

Getting Outside the College Bubble

Annual Bashes

I Like Us Better When We’re Wasted

It’s Not Always Sunny at Syracuse University

Kait is a junior magazine journalism and English double major at Syracuse University who has a newfound appreciation for snow.

CM’s Guide to San Francisco State University

The Vibe    A melting pot of creativity and culture   #GatorLife   Hipsters, nerds, bros, fashionistas, skaters, sports...