21 Gifts for the Artist in Your Life

The holidays creep closer with every passing day; now that Halloween is over we’re all going to start hearing Christmas songs wherever we go. If you are hoping to get a jump on your holiday shopping for your favorite painter, artist or writer friend, check out these gifts, perfect for birthdays, Christmas, Hanukah or any other occasion.

1. Great Gatsby Duvet

great_gatsby_duvet_grande

Looking for a great gift for your favorite English major? We all read The Great Gatsby in high school. Your English major friend will love this duvet cover because it reminds them of one of their favorite books, not some boring book he read in high school.

2. A Waterproof Notepad

Do you have a forgetful friend? Shower time might be the time where she comes up with the best thesis or a new design for that Google contest. This one’s for her. All she needs to do it sketch out her idea, no matter when it comes to her.

3. Mew Yorker Kitty Tee

mew_yorker_2078de73-b677-422d-9470-d785d17000e0_grande

Buy Now

We all have a cat obsessed friend. This t-shirt will embrace her cat obsession. “I would love to get a real cat but for now I will settle for this shirt,” Luther College junior Megan Mathison said. Wear it with jeans or yoga pants to brighten up anyone’s day with a clever cat pun.

4. Meowmore Pouch

sp-meowmore_grande

This pouch fits paints, paintbrushes or pencils or anything else that belongs in a cat lover’s art pouch. You might even find a fur ball in there.

5. Wood Art Set

This comprehensive art kit makes a great gift for your artist friend or anyone looking to start coloring. “I would love to get this as a gift. My inner artist screams yes,” said Luther College junior Ali Turnquist. Your friend will love de-stressing with some art projects so she can get back to her English paper with a calm spirit.

6. Artsy Socks

Your friends can say goodbye to freezing cold feet with these cozy socks. “As a sock enthusiast and a studio art major, I think that there socks are amazing! They would be a great gift for any art or art history buff, and personally these are going on my Christmas wish list,” said Winona State junior Lexi Prowizer.

7. An Art Tablet

Art tablets outdo the professional competition making the perfect for your professional art friend. “Digital art tablets look really professional; they have all of the drawing tools.  You don’t have to worry about paint brushes or canvases or spilling paint all over yourself,” said Mathison. Whether a graphic artist or just a fan of drawing, technology lovers will need this gift.

8. A Smock

Painting is messy. Colors will fly all over the place, and more importantly all over her cute outfit. For your friend who always gets paint on her clothes, help her save a few bucks on dry cleaning with a smock to keep the creativity flowing.

9. Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist

Looking for some new drinks? This book is perfect for anyone who loves a good drink and a good literary reference. As the book said, “Think of this recipe guide as SparkNotes with a liquor license.”

10. Great Drinkers Shotglass Set

Want to share a drink with your favorite author? This won’t give you the same experience, but it’s close. “It’s funky new way to consume alcohol,” Luther College senior Andrew Botz said.

11. First Lines of Literature Mug

Relax with your coffee and find your next great read at the same time. Figure out what book the first lines on the mug come from, and then actually finish reading that book.

12. 642 Tiny Things to Draw

Is your friend new to drawing? Help him develop his natural talent, giving him the chance to draw as many things as possible.

13. Correcting grammar mug

We all have that one friend who likes to correct everyone’s grammar. No one wants to encourage these (annoying) ways, but this mug feels undeniably perfect for him.

14. “THE KISS” BY GUSTAV KLIMT, NECKLACE

Wearing art is way cooler than looking at it. This necklace will make a unique and gorgeous addition to every classical art lover’s jewelry collection.

15. Handmade Recycled Poptop Coin Purse

Your recycling, hippie friend who’s determined to save the world, but also needs a place to store her hemp based lip gloss will appreciate this gift.

16. Artist’s Loft Fundamentals Art Organizer Craft Storage Tote Bag

For the friend who needs a place to store all her art supplies, this pouch will be a godsend. Whether moving between home and the studio or someone who likes to paint landscapes outside, this tote bag will hold all their art supplies.

17. Funny Grammar Expletive Mug

If you can’t help but channel your inner grammar nerd and preach about the difference between “their” and “there,” you need this mug. Your friends will never forget their grammar again. “My friend has one and she loves it, so I could give this as a gift,” said Luther College junior Harleigh Boldridge.

18. LED Pen Light

Does your roommate always keep you up with her lights on while scrambling to finish her homework? Do yourself a favor and give her one of these pens so she never has to keep you up again. “These pens seem like a fun and new way to write notes to friends at night,” Luther College junior Claire Little said.

19. 25 teabags with literary quotes

Everyone loves to curl up with the latest thriller while they sipping their favorite tea. These tea bags will give you a literary reference with every cup. “These are clever and practical, so I could definitely see myself giving these as gifts,” Boldridge said.

20. Men’s Artsy This Is My Halloween Costume T-Shirt

We all know and love that hipster friend who refuses to wear a costume on Halloween. Give them this t-shirt he can wear to every costume party for the rest of his life instead of going as “himself” every year.

21. Mini Stretched Canvas

These will double as an adorable way to decorate a dorm room, bedroom or anything else your friend can paint to decorate her new dorm room or bedroom. “These are perfect for people who really like little inspirational quotes or paintings,” said Turnquist.

Frances Stevenson is a staff writer from Luther College in Decorah Iowa. She is a senior graduating with an English and Environmental studies degree and the Features editor of Luther's student newspaper Chips.

Artsy friends deserve artsy gifts.
10 Creative Gifts Your Artsy Friend Actually Wants

You love your artsy friends more than anything in the world; they make your life more colorful and give the best...