Grub Street Intern

Development Intern, Boston, MA

Imagine a literary community that exclusively consists of a bunch of geniuses disguised as goofballs. That is Grub Street. If you want a sneak peek into the creative writing underbelly of the big, bad city of Boston, then start making your cover letter more memorable than the first six words of the Gettysburg Address.

What it’s actually like

You get to work in a tight-knit writing community of only a handful of supervisors and interns. You’ll help teachers prepare for their classes, supervisors manage their day-to-day tasks and the organization as a whole pull off of some killer events. “It’s a tricky balance between independence and team work.” –Melissa Fitzgerald, Development Intern Fall 2014

Cool stuff you get to do

Marketing, writing projects , arts and crafts– you name it, Grub Street interns do it. “It’s an interesting mix of trivial tasks and doing the stuff that seems significant. Like one day I went to go out and buy a 24 pack of water and eight things of grapes and the next day I did a competitive analysis of all the nonprofits in the area and analyzed what made them successful and what Grub Street could do differently. So say yes to everything.” –Melissa Fitzgerald, Development Intern Fall 2014

What you’ll learn

Besides getting a sneak peek into the Boston creative writing scene, you’ll learn how to be an office superstar. “I learned there’s a balance between being professional and being yourself. It’s not always, ‘Here are your copies, sir.’” –Melissa Fitzgerald, Development Intern Fall 2014

How to prepare for your application

Write a mind-blowing cover letter. You’re trying to wedge your way into an uber talented writing community, so write at least 87 drafts. Make sure you sneak a reference to some Grub Street quirk– anything from the mission to a class offered–onto the page. Maybe pick up yoga before you go to your interview. Because it’s such a small office environment, you have to prove that you’re a human being capable of both breathing and cracking a few jokes with your supervisors and peers. So, relax.

Skills that impress them

Interpersonal relations and communication skills, especially event management and phone experience. A sense of humor, for sure.

Cool Perks

Take a 10 week class (or an equivalent) fo’ free! Estimated value: $550. You also get free admission into events like poetry readings, an annual Gala and the Boston Book Festival. Estimated value: priceless.

The Deets

12-15 hours a week

Unpaid

Apply by submitting your application to a magical link on their website.

Were you a Grub Street intern? Share your internship experience in the comments below.

Need Interns?

Submit your internship opportunity here.

Andrea is a sophomore English major at Boston College. She enjoys binge snacking, psychoanalyzing her friends and saying medium instead of grande just to piss Starbucks employees off. Friends and cute boys call her Anna.