The Top 10 Colleges for Broadcast Journalism

Regular people check the news to see what’s happening in the world. Did their favorite team win in extra innings? Or maybe they want to know how bad their commute looks today. When broadcast majors read the news, they imagine writing it instead of watching it. And they know landing a prime-time spot won’t come easily. Students who aspire to deliver the news need to attend a school that has it all: Great student media groups, professional faculty, state of the art equipment and hands-on courses. You’ll need to learn how to write, edit and produce.

Think you have what it takes to anchor the national news? Check out the 10 best colleges for broadcast journalism.

10. Northwestern University

It’s hard not to win an award on and off the screen at Northwestern. Professor Beth Bennett produced the documentary “Kindred” in 2011, which aired on WTTW and won a Chicago/Midwest Emmy. The impressive faculty at The Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications offer hands-on training in creating, editing and producing media content. Student-produced work created from this program regularly wins national and international awards. In 2015, a Medill student won in three different college student production categories at the Chicago/Midwest chapter of the National Academy of the Television Arts and Sciences Emmy awards. Individual reporters Jesse Kirsch and Adam Mintzer won the Crystal Pillar award in the News for General Assignment and Sports categories, respectively. If you follow in the footsteps of Medill faculty and alumni, you’ll see your cue on the teleprompter in no time.

9. University of Maryland College Park

Practice makes perfect—and you can master the latest audiovisual equipment and multimedia support before graduation day at UMD. Students gain hands on experience from professional faculty and have access to media services from trained staff. Troubleshooting and becoming familiar with the equipment allows students to go off on their own to create. Beyond that, UMD’s strong faculty gives students great insight into their future workplaces. Cassandra Clayton, a former NBC correspondent, teaches intensive courses in broadcast news writing. Other courses include Broadcast Field and Studio Production, News Writing and Reporting, and Media Research. These incredible resources produce alumni that make it big, including Mara Schiavocampo, an ABC News correspondent, and Debbie DiMaio, an Emmy award-winning producer and writer who created and produced of the Oprah Winfrey Show.

8. American University

AU broadcast journalism students master everything from TV and radio production writing. That way, they can figure out whether they prefer writing, anchoring, directing, editing or producing. Students write stories and create multimedia classes in reporting classes, and they get to work with zoom audio records and Canon video equipment in Digital Skills, Reporting and Digital Audio Production. Students get even more hands-on practice working on AU’s student-run TV and radio stations. ATV produces seven shows ranging from sports to satire to news. “Being involved with ATV has been so important to me because it gives you confidence and experience with some of the equipment you’ll encounter in an actual internship. It’s a lot of fun to work on shows with people who share the same interests as you,” said AU junior Jessica Cipriano. You might see your co-anchor on the news one day, too. Alisyn Lane Camerota, co-anchor of CNN’s New Day graduated from AU’s broadcast program.

7. Quinnipiac University

Want to feel like you’re in a real newsroom? The Ed McMahon Mass Communications Center, QU’s media production facility, is designed like a real newsroom and production facility. Students can access to cameras, teleprompters and a control room—so when they go to post-grad interviews, they know they have the experience employers want. Interested in becoming a sports writer? QU students get to travel with the teams to cover school athletics through writing and social media. Plus, the school’s faculty includes Emmy and other award-winning professionals from writers, producers, editors and directors. Professors Rebecca Abbott and Tim Malloy produced an Emmy-winning documentary called Aeromedical about medical evacuation missions that take place in the skies of Europe.

6. Temple University

Temple’s School of Media and Communication has a media group for everything from gardening and cooking to news and sports segments. Temple TV produces 20 shows and their radio station has eight different departments. Students have access to the most updated equipment in the production facilities used for class instruction and student media. Film production students use professional 1080p and 4k formats, and film in 16mm, Super-16 and 35mm. Using the equipment, Temple students have created projects that received grand prizes at major international festivals including Sundance. The documentary The Bad Kids about three at-risk teens was directed by alumni Lou Pepe and Keith Fulton and selected as a world premiere film of the 2016 Sundance Film Festival.

5. Ithaca College

Interested in making a short film or documentary? The Studio at Ithaca provides all the resources you need to make it happen. Student executives run The Studio’s operations with the guidance of professional staff and a network of alumni. And if you hope to become an Emmy-winning news anchor or producer, then you can hone those skills at ICTV, Ithaca’s student-run TV station. “ICTV has been beneficial to me because I think it has prepared me for when I graduate. The administration lets us run a real station, and every person on ICTV treats it like it is,” said senior and ICTV’s rising station manager Garrett Weinberg. The student executives provide mentorship to other students and any support they need throughout their projects. Alumni and current staff help build connections with Ithaca’s aspiring broadcasters. On top of that, Ithaca broadcast students get to pick an area of study that focuses on their specific goals and interests. Students can tailor their focus to news, entertainment, health and more. Through working with an academic adviser or the Television-Radio Program Director, each student develops their area of study to market to employers.

4. State University of New York at Oswego

“When I was transferring, many people…told me Oswego is the place to go for broadcasting,” said Oswego senior Andrew Luces. The broadcast and mass media program at Oswego have three fully equipped state-of-the-art digital TV studios plus audio/radio production labs and recording studios. Students work hands-on in class and student-run groups including the campus newspaper, and radio and WTOP, Oswego’s student-run TV station. “The people who I work with are very dedicated to the station and the product that is put on the air,” said Luces. With new technology developing daily, Oswego’s program stays on top of it. The broadcast program recently introduced a new curriculum, including courses in new media including media design, social media, video games and more. Oswego’s graphic design courses allow students to explore multimedia design through photography, motion graphics and animations—all skills you need for a broadcast journalism career.

3. Bryant University

Don’t judge a school by its size. The Communication’s Complex at Bryant houses state-of-the-art production facilities including an HD television studio, control room and editing stations. Bryant’s radio station, WJMF (88.7 FM), produces over 40 shows with more than 100 DJs. Within the classroom and student-media groups, Bryant students work hands-on with audio and video equipment from freshman year to graduation. And when you add experienced faculty into the mix, you know you’ll graduate ready to dominate the newsroom. Professor Susan Baran worked as a producer, writer, and anchor in TV and radio for 16 years before teaching. Students need a professor who can talk theory and apply it in practice—and they get those at Bryant.

2. Boston University

Want to learn from actual broadcast journalists? Then go to BU. “I’m being taught by people who know what’s going on and know how to use the latest technology,” said junior Juliet Beauchamp. Professors here include accomplished, practicing journalists, bestselling authors and producers like Susan Walker, a documentary filmmaker and an award-winning journalist who’s worked at CBS, NBC and ABC. Plus, Walker produced the Emmy Award winning series Project Radon. “Aside from on-campus orgs, there’s a huge focus to get an internship. Professors really help with connections, so I’ve gotten real-world broadcast experience,” said Beauchamp. BU’s radio and TV stations also provide great resources for students. “At WTBU, I got to really dive in to the news process. I was researching, writing, producing and using new equipment. Then I joined the morning talk show and completely fell in love. Now my dream job is to host a talk show,” said Beauchamp.  Through classes and campus organizations, BU students gain experience in all aspects of broadcasting.

1. Emerson College

The ultimate student media experience awaits you at Emerson College. WERS-FM won Best College Radio Station at the 2014 Associated Press Student Journalism Awards along with WEBN-TV as Best College TV Station. WERS produces more live performances than any other station in the region, including the annual collegiate a cappella competition called All A Capella Live. The nationally recognized shows come together in The Journalism Production Center. This facility holds all the necessary equipment for students to develop technical skills and have a hand in every aspect of production. With the experience they gain working with student media groups, Emerson students will be fully ready to conquer real world production environments. “Emerson College is relatively small compared to our competitors, there is so much enthusiasm for covering the news that we have the critical mass of interest to support three clubs that produce video newscasts, two radio stations and dozens of publications,” said Journalism Professor Paul Niwa. “Students love what they learn in class and want to continue to practice within their co-curricular student organizations that cover the news.”

Want more rankings? Check out:

CM’s Top 10 Journalism Schools 2016

Top 10 Colleges For Political Activists

CM’s 10 Best Schools for Public Relations

I am a junior studying broadcast journalism at American University. I am obsessed with my dog and would die to see the Mets win the World Series.

american university
How to Survive Comm Law at American University

Sometimes we wish we had a survival guide for those tough classes that make us want to cry or die...