21 Twenty One Pilots Lyrics That’ll Save Your Soul

Any Twenty One Pilots fans out there? Do you have your favorite Twenty One Pilots quote memorized by heart? Do you consider yourself as a lifelong member of the Skeleton Clique? It’s not hard to spot a fan of this Ohio-based alternative rock band. And the group of dedicated TØP fans have only grown over the years, their songs capturing the hearts of thousands of people. What makes them so special?

We studied Twenty One Pilots quotes and asked die-hard fans how the band has changed their lives.

“Car Radio”

“I hate this car that I’m driving/There’s no hiding for me/I’m forced to deal with what I feel/There is no distraction to mask what is real/I could pull the steering wheel”

“I have these thoughts/So often I ought/To replace that slot/With what I once bought/’Cause someone stole by car radio/And now I just sit in silence”

“I ponder of something terrifying/’Cause this time there’s no sound to hide behind/I find over the course of our human existence/One thing consists of consistence/And it’s that we’re all battling fear/Oh dear, I don’t know if we know why we’re here/Oh my,/Too deep/Please stop thinking/I liked it better when my car had sound”

“Peace will win/And fear will lose/There’s faith and there’s sleep/We need to pick one please, because/Faith is to be awake/And to be awake is for us to think/And for us to think is to be alive”

Music serves as a great distraction during long car rides. Instead of worrying about things, you can just jam to the radio. But what happens when you don’t have access to music and are forced to face your anxieties? TØP entertains this idea, and comes to the conclusion that sometimes facing your inner demons is difficult, but necessary.

“Stressed Out”

“I was told when I get older all my fears would shrink,/But now I’m insecure and I care what people think.”

“Wish we could turn back time, to the good ol’ days,/When our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re stressed out.”

“We used to play pretend, give each other different names,/We would build a rocket ship and then we’d fly it far away,/Used to dream of outer space but now they’re laughing in our face,/Saying, ‘Wake up, you need to make money.’”

Ever feel like you’re growing up too fast? Instead of living carefree days, millennials feel sucked into the stressful world of student loans, bills and jobs. You don’t feel like a kid anymore, and for some people this fact becomes too scary. This song sounds like an anthem for millennials who want to stay kids forever. Nostalgia at its finest.

“Holding Onto You”

“I’m open a moment and closed when you show it/Before you know it, I’m lost at sea.”

“Fight it,/Take the pain, ignite it,/Tie a noose around your mind/Loose enough to breathe fine and tie it/To a tree. Tell it, ‘You belong to me./This aint a noose, this is a leash./And I have news for you: you must obey me.”

“You are surrounding all my surroundings,/Twisting the kaleidoscope behind both of my eyes.”

Grappling with depression and anxiety can be scary. It distorts your perspective of the world (like a kaleidoscope) and ruins your life. Through this song, Twenty One Pilots want you to know that you can fight those thoughts and gain control over them. For those struggling, this song helps you get through all that.

“Lane Boy”

“They say, ‘Stay in your lane, boy, lane boy,’/But we go where we want to”

“I wasn’t raised in the hood,/But I know a thing or two about pain and darkness/If it wasn’t for this music, I don’t know how I would’ve fought this”

“I’m in constant confrontation with what I want and what is poppin’/In the industry/It seems to me/That singles on the radio are currency/My creativity’s only free when I’m playin’ shows”

With fame comes great responsibility. Now that TØP is becoming part of the mainstream world, singer-songwriter Tyler Joseph grapples with satisfying his record label and himself. He acknowledges how the band has helped him overcome inner demons, but he only feels like himself when he’s performing for his fans, not for his record label. For him, the reward lies in the fans, not in the money.

“Trees”

“I know where you stand,/Silent in the trees,/And that’s where I am/Silent in the trees./Why won’t you speak/Where I happen to be?/Silent in the trees/Standing cowardly.”

“I can feel your breath./I can feel my death./I want to know you./I want to see./I want to say hello.”

Finding a relationship with God or any sort of higher power, who hides everywhere in this world, can prove to be more difficult than expected. Here, the speaker searches for that connection in order to save himself. However, it frustrates him that cannot find something supposed to save him from his misery.

“Tear in My Heart”

“She’s the tear in my heart, I’m alive,/She’s the tear in my heart, I’m on fire,/She’s the tear in my heart, Take me higher,/Then I’ve ever been.”

“My heart is my armor,/She’s the tear in my heart,/she’s a carver,/She’s a butcher with a smile, cut me farther,/Than I’ve ever been.”

At some point in most people’s lives, people find that special someone who breaks down their mental barriers. In this song, the powerful force of love undeniably saves whoever suffers from pain. It may not always be pretty, but it is always worth the trouble at the end.

“Forest”

“I don’t wanna be heard/I want to be listened to”

“I scream, you scream, we all scream/’Cause we’re terrified of what’s around the corner/We stay in place/’Cause we don’t want to lose our lives/So let’s think of something better.”

People suffering from mental illness often feel insignificant and alone in their pain. This song tells those people that they aren’t alone. If this song brings people together to battle their inner demons and survive, then it has served its purpose.

“Heavydirtysoul”

“This is not rap, this is not hip-hop,/Just another attempt to make the voices stop,/Rapping to prove nothing, just writing to say something”

Another great song that showcases the struggle for those with depression and other mental illnesses. People have different ways to try and cope with their inner demons, and for the speaker, writing thoughts out serves that purpose. The song encourages people to find an outlet to express their feelings and simultaneously asks for help to conquer them.

Guns for Hands

“Let’s take this one second at a time,/Let’s take this one song, this one rhyme,/Together, let’s breathe,/Together, to the beat,/But there’s hope out the window,/So that’s where we’ll go,/Let’s go outside and all join hands”

This song depicts what suicidal people face on a daily basis, and tries to calm them down and help them get past their dark thoughts. Sometimes, it takes a special song to really help a troubled person triumph through their depression. They learn that they don’t suffer by themselves, and there’s no need to.

Why We Love TØP

“I love TØP not because they have the best vocals or because they have the catchiest beat but because of the heart and soul they put into every song. The lyrics are so meaningful and really helped me go through a tough time (not to sound like every emo fan ever). Vessel was one of the first albums that I completely and utterly loved. And don’t even get me started on the energy and the love they put into their shows. At first there was very little production, it was just two guys performing because they loved it. By the second show that I went to they’d created a story and allowed one song to flow from the next while also expressing themselves and putting on a show not because they had to but they needed to.” – Simren Singh, sophomore, Montgomery College

“Twenty One Pilots is a revolutionary band that has literally created an army of followers. They have always been there for me through the worst of times, and will always help me feel better when I’m down. Their concert was the first concert I ever broke down at. They truly take your emotions to the next level. It’s honestly amazing that they can be the first band to do that to me and I’ve seen over 200 in my life so far. They are such an inspiration to all artists and creators around the world. I am a proud fan of them because I respect what they stand for.” – Dylan Sheridan, sophomore, Full Sail University

“TØP, to me, is a band of outcasts. They stand for the underdogs, the bullied, the beaten down and defeated teens that seek solace from their music. TØP hasn’t personally changed my life but I can see how they would be influential enough to influence others, because the band members are so down to earth and the music speaks to the depressed, anxious teens who take the words as gospel.” – Sophie Baker, sophomore, University of Central Arkansas

“The first time I saw TØP was in November 2011 in Cleveland. That was the exact sold out concert that made multiple record labels fight for them. They had an inspirational amount of energy for the fans that I was inspired by. I knew the reason they were in front of us was to share their love of music to everyone around them. They give me a reason to keep going, to keep finding myself, to shut down the negatives of the world, to find the positives, to shut down my own blurryface and bring myself out. Their lyrics help me to realize I am human and I will never be perfect.” – Amber Boone, junior, Boise State University

“I love Twenty One Pilots because not only do they have a really different and unique sound, but their songs cover a lot of diverse topics as well. It’s refreshing to see a band that does something so different. My favorite song is ‘Guns for Hands’ because it’s the first song I heard by them and it made me fall in love with them.” – Angela Assurian, junior, University of Maryland

“I like Twenty One Pilots because they make music that I want to listen to. Their music is about believing in yourself and describes your feelings of anxiety. They help me get over my depression and stress. There’s a lot of things in their music to make you fall in love with them.” – Pawan Pareek, Shivaji University

“I love how honest their song lyrics are. For a lot of people going through those things, that honesty makes their songs 10x more relatable. You know that no matter what you’re going through, there are others who feel the same way. A lot of the songs I like have that honesty.” – Yasmeen Brooks, sophomore, University of Maryland

“My favorite song by Twenty One Pilots is probably “Stressed Out.” There are some songs that you quickly get sick of every time it comes on the radio, but whenever it comes on I love blasting it on my radio. It’s just so relatable for anyone my age. I really do wish that I could return to my childhood and forgo all these responsibilities that comes with getting older and going to college.” –Manny Salazar, senior, University of Texas

“The thing I love most about Twenty One Pilots is that their songs have such a deeper meaning than anything else on the radio. Their lyrics are kind of weird at first listen, but they make you think about things that you kind of put on the back burner in your head, you know? Like in their song “Stressed Out” it talks about missing being a little kid and having dreams and that’s something we didn’t really notice was happening to us as we grew up.” – Rachel Dumene, junior, James Madison University

“I love twenty one pilots because they have the kind of lyrics you can pick apart. Every person that listens to one of their songs can take something different from it and make it their own which makes the music special to everyone. My favorite song by them is “Migraine,” it’s the first song I ever heard of theirs and it’s got a lot of room for interpretation.” – Millicent Phillips, junior, Liberty University

Mariya is a junior at the George Washington University studying English/ Creative Writing and Journalism. When she's not watching crime shows, dancing to 80's music or cooking, you'll find her talking about her #OnlyatGW moments. Like any college student, she loves taking advantage of every (free) thing D.C. has to offer.

best bluetooth speakers
10 Best Bluetooth Speakers to Throw a Lit Party

Do your friends always hand you the AUX cord? Are you your squad’s official DJ? Then why not make the...