14 Songs to Remember 2014 By

Whether you realize it or not, 2014 was a pretty hectic year, not just in the news but in music too. We saw everything from girl power reminiscent of the 2000s to pop with a funky edge. What better way to say goodbye to such an eclectic year of music than by counting down the new year with all of your old favorites blasting in the background? CM’s got your New Year’s Eve playlist right here: 14 songs that defined 2014.

1. Drunk In Love – Beyonce

The power couple dominated the charts for months, and we loved every second of it.

2. Fancy – Iggy Azalea

Complete with a throwback to our favorite 90s movie, Clueless.

3. Bang Bang – Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj

The world hasn’t seen a combination so great since the Britney and Madonna days.

4. Shake It Off – Taylor Swift

Taylor finally admitted to how awkward she was, and the world loved her all the more for it.

5. Happy – Pharrel Williams

Can we finally stop playing this on the radio?

6. Summer – Calvin Harris

If a sorority’s Tumblr didn’t have this song playing, did it even count?

7. Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo feat. 2 Chainz

You cringed every time you heard a little kid proudly singing along to this song, but it was just so catchy.

8. Rather Be – Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne

It was EVERYONE’S Facebook album title. Everyone.

9. Let It Go – Idina Menzel

The best of Disney since the Lion King.

10. #SELFIE – The Chainsmokers

The source of everyone’s Instagram caption for pretty much the entire year.

11. Turn Down For What – DJ Snake and Lil John

We dare you not to twerk.

12. Anaconda – Nicki Minaj

What looked like it might be a tragic spin on a classic turned out to be one of the most overplayed songs of the year.

13. Stay With Me – Sam Smith

He blew us away with his incredible and touching voice.

14. Say Something – A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera

Christina made this beautiful song into the ballad of the year.

Paige Levin is a sophomore studying journalism and political science at the University of Florida. When she’s not re-watching her box set of FRIENDS, you can probably find her talking about Panera mac and cheese (or just food in general). Currently, her interests (or obsessions) lie in everything and anything pop culture, Netflix binge watching, photography, going to concerts, and all of her unfortunately pathetic South Florida sports teams.