10 Good Majors For Med School that Aren’t Biology

Even in high school, Stacy Leibowitz knew that she wanted to go to medical school. Upon attending the University of Pennsylvania for undergrad, however, Leibowitz had no desire to study science.“It happened that, when I was there at Penn, the history department was excellent with a lot of amazing teachers,” Leibowitz said. So in her sophomore year, Leibowitz declared her major and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in history.

But wait what about her dreams of medical school? She went. Leibowitz graduated from Johns Hopkins Medical School in 1997 and currently works as a doctor of hematology and oncology in Miami, Florida. After majoring in history?

Yes, there are other good majors for med school besides biology.

“Quite frankly, none of that helps you in med school anyway,” Leibowitz said of majoring in science in undergrad. “The classes in medical school are their own classes. I didn’t need to take biochemistry twice.” If you wouldn’t get a tattoo that says “mitochondria=powerhouse,” but you want to pursue a career in medicine, these 10 majors can get you into med school.

1. Economics

What in this world can’t money solve? In this case, money–or the study of it–solves the question of what’s a good major for med school. According to the Duke University School of Medicine Director of Admissions Andrea Lanahan, social sciences are the next most popular set of majors to apply to Duke’s medical school after the biological and physical sciences, with one of the five more common social science majors being economics. “In general, these fields are looking to use their fields to apply a different thought process to medicine,” Lanahan said. An economics major may translate into working with public health or policy, according to Lanahan. Before you rake in the dough as a doctor, learn the science behind your future fortune.

2. Psychology

A lot of TV shows out there depict psychology as this wildly interesting and potentially dangerous field heavily involved in crime-solving; Psych, Criminal Minds, and Perception all come to mind. But if working for the FBI steps a little to close to danger for your taste, consider med school as a safer alternative. Lanahan said that psychology is a common social science major for those applying to med school. Which makes sense seeing that certain focus areas for medicine rely heavily on psychology. Northwestern’s website also lists neurology, pediatrics and behavioral medicine as medical fields where psychology pays. So leave the scarier world of crime-solving to the FBI and consider psychology as a good major for a different perspective on medicine.

3. History

If you know all historical facts behind Hamilton and all the words to the soundtrack, consider studying history before grinding through the hard sciences in medical school. A history degree worked well for Leibowitz. “I wanted the chance to study something I had an interest in, in a place that offered interesting and well-taught classes,” Leibowitz said. Leibowitz never felt like her classmates who majored in biology prepared better for med school. Rounding out her education with other subjects also helped her focus. “I wasn’t burnt out from doing all the sciences over the past four years,” Leibowitz said. If that’s not enough to convince you, the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai website lists history as one of the most popular undergraduate majors for accepted students in 2015-2016. So keep on spreading Hamilton’s story–med school will wait until you’re done.

4. Anthropology

You don’t have to be a people person to study anthropology, but, surprisingly enough, anthropology could improve your people skills. The Emory University website says that anthropology serves students who want to work “directly with people.” A medical professional needs a good bedside manner; treating humans like foreign species in the lab leads to better people skills in real life (and combined with that, your hot doctor look might lead to some digits). So go out there and study your potential patients–they might thank you for it later.

5. Evolutionary anthropology

You know the evolution picture with a bunch of primates in a line all walking into the next evolution until it reaches the figure of a man? That monkey didn’t become a human with just a haircut and some good posture; find out all of the steps between our origins and now with an anthropology major. Where anthropology offers a general study of people, evolutionary anthropology looks at “humankind’s place in nature,” according to Duke University’s website–specifically, at how humans evolved from primates. Lanahan listed evolutionary anthropology as one of the common social science majors that med school hopefuls apply with. If you study the human body as it evolved over time, you have a better grasp on how the body functions now.

6. Chemistry

The line between future doctor and future mad scientist might blur come finals week, but if you can keep your sanity, sign up for chem. The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai website lists chemistry as one of the most popular undergraduate majors for accepted students in 2015-2016. If there’s that one bio course that you just know you’re going to dread, (like, really, taking a class in plants or fungi for “taxonomic diversity”? Why?), a chem degree could offer both an escape and a good major for medical school.

7. Religious Studies

Something as personal as religion may seem odd when pursuing a career in medicine, but when it’s a personal passion, why not go for it? Ameer Quadri chose to major in religious studies after a Bible study course piqued his interest. He spent undergrad taking courses both for his studies of the Abrahamic religions and for the necessary med school pre reqs (as well as a few extra science courses). “It was a nice balance,” Quadri said. “I feel like I had a really well-rounded college education.” Now a first-year med student, Quadri studies at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. “As long as you complete the courses to get accepted into med school, med school is really good at starting from scratch and building you up again,” Quadri said. Quadri recommends that students pursue and explore their passion while in college, before they commit to their career in medicine.

8. Certain Types of Engineering

Masochist alert: wanna feel the rush of a teetering GPA and constant academic pressure for the next two rounds of your education? Engineering and med school challenges you as a student and pays off in your career. According to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai website, biomedical engineering ranked as one of the most popular undergraduate majors for accepted students in 2015-2016. If you spent your childhood obsessed with K’Nex and Legos, then go ahead and spend four years tinkering with this major before you settle into med school.

9. English

Macbeth may want to “throw physic to the dogs,” but you don’t have to–even if you want to study both English and medicine. An English major can help with more than reading bedtime stories to your patients. Social sciences majors, Lanahan said, are often “looking to take their nontraditional background and apply it to another form of medicine.” Lanahan said some of the social science students who applied to Duke University School of Medicine studied English. It’s absolutely possible to balance a love of Shakespeare and science, so if you’re passionate about sonnets, study them. If you won’t take my advice, listen to Polonius: “To thine own self be true.”

10. Mathematics

If solely studying science doesn’t add up for you, consider a degree in mathematics. So many science courses require mathematical ability, so this is a good major for anyone aspiring to medical school. Your math degree plus med school equals success.

How to Choose the Perfect Pre-Med Major for You

Written by Mariya Khan

Find a major that will coincide with your med school goals and get requirements out of the way. “My major is biology because I knew the classes coincided with the pre recs for med school and I was interested in the diverse classes that biology offered, like human physiology and classes about plants,” said FSU senior Scarlett Dunkley. Also, if you plan on doing any international work after med school, take some foreign language classes (maybe even add a minor) like Spanish or French. Students who also want to expand their writing skills and gain a different perspective on issues med students might face should choose a major like Psychology, English or Political Science. Med schools will appreciate a well-rounded student who has taken the science requirements and explored other interests. It may seem unconventional, but remember that it’ll help you stand out in the sea of med school applicants.

5 Resume Boosters Pre-Med Majors Need to Get that MD

1. Scribing

Med schools love students who’ve seen the inner workings of the hospital environment. “It was a one-on-one experience with a doctor, much more involved than volunteering or giving patients blankets,” said University of Cincinnati first-year medical student Shane Rayos del Sol. “You are working with various health care professionals…[and] watch the doctor work.” In addition to learning about the patients rather than just their symptoms, students gain interpersonal communication skills valued at any hospital. Some universities, like the George Washington University, offers specific scribe classes for pre-med students to work at the school hospital during the semester. Students interested can also join companies like Scribe America for paid scribing jobs.

2. Shadowing

shadowing pre med

Scrubs

This applies more for students who want to work in a doctor’s office instead of a hospital. You can call any office around your campus or in your hometown and ask to shadow a doctor for a day. “I had first-hand experience diagnosing patients and learning the behind the scenes of owning a private practice,” said FSU biology senior Marissa Guedes. “I saw how insurance companies contact offices and the amount of work you have to deal with talking to patients after hours.” University of Maryland College sophomore public health major Yasmeen Brooks agrees. She spent parts of her summer break at her mother’s physical therapy office. “I definitely enjoyed the time in there talking to the other workers about their own experiences,” said Brooks. This job is a win-win if you nab a mentor that’ll give you career advice and a future recommendation.

3. Research

Plenty of professors have research opportunities in their labs over the semester. “I’m part of a Zika research lab and med schools like to see research because of the lab experience student acquire,” said Dunkley. “The techniques and procedures that we learn as biology majors are able to be implicated when you work in a lab, which really allows us to understand the things like bacteria transformations completely.” While you might not get paid for your research work, students usually get lenient schedules that cater to their busy pre-med lifestyles. Talk to your science professor to see if they or any colleagues have any open research positions for undergraduates.

4. Volunteering

Whether you volunteer locally or abroad, use the experience to beef up your resume. Locally, you can see if you can volunteer at a campus or hometown hospital for around 10 hours a week. If you go abroad, you can use your work as a more engaging story for the med school admissions teams. Take University of Cincinnati first-year med students Brandon Nidea, for example. He volunteered abroad at the Dominican Republic. “[I was] able to go to rural areas in the Dominican Republic, like Santiago,” said Nidea. While there, he volunteered at a church-based clinic in the middle of nowhere, where for some of the people it was their first time seeing a doctor. He also studied Spanish while an undergrad, so he could communicate with the people there. “Very eye opening. I was able to use this to sort of set a theme to my application,” Nidea said.

5. Study Abroad

Many college students study abroad during their undergraduate years. Just because you’re a pre-med student doesn’t mean that you can’t join in on the fun. Just make sure your time abroad relates to your medical aspirations. “I went abroad to El Salvador and was able to see how surgeries were performed using limited supplies. Seeing how decisions are based on availability on supplies really puts into perspective how privileged doctors and patients are in the states,” said Dunkley. Bonus points if you volunteer while abroad.

**Updated on December 27, 2017 to include “How to Choose the Perfect Pre-Med Major for You” and “5 Resume Boosters Pre-Med Majors Need to Get that MD” by Mariya Khan

Megan is a Hufflepuff, Star Wars nerd and Jane Austen fangirl. She’s a junior studying English and public relations at the University of Florida.

blood donation
CM’s Master Guide to Blood Donation

The idea of blood donation can sound quite scary and inspire a medical case of the heebeegeebees. We’ve all heard...