Winter Pastels

I don’t know about you, but the frenzy surrounding color that took place some time between last fall and roughly three seconds ago resulted in my wardrobe taking on a very multicolored hue. And I love it. Now it’s 30 degrees out… so what? I’m not quite ready to give up my colorful pieces in favor of boring winter neutrals, and I refuse to give in. It may seem traditionally taboo to wear peach-colored jeans or sunny yellow flats in the middle of icy December… but truthfully, you would get a round of applause. From me, at least. I say go for it – but do so tastefully.

The easiest, chicest way to wear color in the winter is to artfully mix your brights, pastels and neutrals – strong emphasis on the pastels. Pale, dusty pinks, lavenders, mints and aquas give your wintry look a subtle wash of color, and instead of looking “summery,” you’ll just be fresh and feminine in a sea of black. You just need to choose and mix your colors carefully; the pastel should make the biggest statement, as in a pair of pale lavender skinnies or a blush maxi skirt. Then a rich neutral piece grounds the outfit and keeps you from looking like an Easter egg. (A very cool and stylish Easter egg, but I digress.) A loose, cozy sweater in heather grey or camel tempers a girly pastel perfectly and allows you to incorporate brighter pops of color in your accessories.

Kelly green or citron ballet flats are bold, yet don’t attract too much attention – they simply complement and enhance your pastels. Throw on a faux-fur stole to further winterize the look, or toss in some patterns for added dimension. The guide below provides easy instructions to this ultra-pretty winter pastel look:

{Look #1: Crumpet cashmere sweater, Marc by Marc Jacobs faux fur snood, Marc by Marc Jacobs bag, Repetto flats, Current/Elliott jeans // Look #2: Crumpet cashmere sweater, Forever 21 cuff, ModCloth scarf, Jil Sander ballet flats, Tibi maxi skirt}

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

Win a VIP Ticket & Flight to IGNITE’s 2018 San Francisco Summit and Coffee with an Elected Official!

Ready to take the next step on your political journey? College women can—and will—change the world for generations to come....