True Gentleman: Tyler Hilton

By Kara Manos > Senior > Journalism and New Media > Towson University

You may remember Tyler Hilton as the confident and somewhat conceited singer Chris Keller on The CW’s One Tree Hill, but now this 26-year-old is taking a break from acting to focus on his first love: music.

As a student in high school, Hilton was passionate about music and songwriting. He planned to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston, but was tempted to focus on a music career instead.  “It was about two weeks before I was about to head to school when I decided to defer my enrollment for two years,” Hilton said.
Luckily for him, the risk paid off.  It wasn’t long before the singer/songwriter/guitarist signed with Warner Bros. Entertainment. “It was big. I felt like I made it,” he said.

But getting to that point wasn’t easy. “I had started my own indie label in high school and it was a lot of work producing my own record.” Instead of having a typical teenage social life, Hilton would spend his afternoons burning CDs on his friend’s computer and recording tracks at a family friend’s studio in L.A.

Now, after four years of studio work, Hilton is back on the road for a two-month, cross-country tour with label-mates The Spill Canvas. Hilton is also releasing a five-song EP soon. The EP, Ladies and Gentlemen, includes tracks that will be featured on Hilton’s second album, The Storms We Share, due for release this summer. 

“It took me a while to make this album because I kept feeling like there was something missing,” Hilton said. That missing piece was learning how to let go, he explained. “[Then I focused on] opening up and exploring other assets of my life.”

While Hilton is currently living a dream, he’s hoping to tour the world and acquire an international fan base one day. “I want to meet all the fans because I have such an honest relationship with them,” he said. “But first, I want to get the music out there.”

photo from http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dn2834&s=5

Win a VIP Ticket & Flight to IGNITE’s 2018 San Francisco Summit and Coffee with an Elected Official!

Ready to take the next step on your political journey? College women can—and will—change the world for generations to come....