The Top 10 Hardest Colleges to Get Into

It’s like a scene from Gladiator out there. The college application process has always required blood, sweat and tears, but it’s gotten even crazier in recent years. Average GPAs and SATs are sky-rocketing, and acceptance rates seem to be playing limbo to see how low they can go. These schools topped the list of hardest to get into.

10. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)

The prestigious California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, California is one of the toughest colleges to get into, and the second hardest in California. With an average SAT score of 2300, an average ACT score of 34 and an acceptance rate of 8.1 percent, by figures alone Caltech can call itself incredibly selective. On top of that, the school is majorly math and science oriented, so it requires SAT Subject Tests in math and science. Add two letters of recommendation, plus lots of extra essays, then you still have to do the application.

Caitlin is a senior English and Theatre major at Boston College. She likes books, theatre, and inspirational quotes, and knows way too much about cheese.

how to choose a career intern
How to Choose a Career in 10 Steps Easier than Clocking Out on Friday

You can no longer claim you want to be a princess or a world-famous singer when you grow up (unless...