The New Florals

I know what you’re thinking – whats “new” about florals for summer?  The second the thermostat hits 60, designers everywhere begin flooding their showrooms with floral clothes, accessories and even beauty products.  It’s a repeating trend I welcome with very open arms (I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving florals…) but it’s a trend that needs to evolve and mature, too – and this season, we’re seeing some amazing variations.

Below are some of my favorite picks for the updated summer floral trend:

1. I love this sheer, oyster-pink tee from Topshop – instead of printing a floral pattern onto the shirt, they instead used super-textured beaded embellishments for a truly original look.  This top would look great with dark high-waisted denim for some sharp contrast!
  2. This twisted shell (which has a cool black zipper down the back) is an edgy update on the floral trend: the watercolor pattern with nude, electric yellow, and pale aqua looks fresh and unexpected on the simple shape. 
  3. I’m in love with this maxi skirt! Not only is it the perfect slim shape (whereas some maxi skirts puff out a Cinderella gown) but the artistic ombré effect looks completely new and unique.  You could style this piece multiple ways, like with a leather jacket, cropped tee, or striped sweater. Even wearing this with a simple white tank would be absolutely stunning.
  4. These are probably the most fabulous Nikes I’ve ever seen – I love the juxtaposition of such a girly print on a sporty shoe. I’m dying to incorporate these into my wardrobe… They’d be just as perfect with skinny jeans and leggings as with little skirts and dresses.
  5. For a subtle take on the floral trend, try one of the newest daisy-chain headbands.  The flower-child hippie vibe is undeniably cute, and it’s the perfect thing to keep your hair out of your face during those hot summer concerts.
  6. I love this giant sunflower bracelet – it’s feminine, bold, and a little ironic.  This can give even the simplest outfit a hint of bohemian flair, and would look just as great layered with other bracelets (like thin gold bangles or braided leather wraps).
  7. If I could choose one item on this list to indulge in, it would undoubtedly be this floral bralette – which seems like the least practical piece! But it’s actually really versatile; it would be amazing peeking out of a little summer dress, cotton tank, or off-the-shoulder tee.  So perfect for looking cute in hot weather!
  8. A nude embellished shoe will be your key summer piece – the color is flattering and neutral, and looks amazing with nearly everything in your closet.  I love how the flowers on this shoe are a little rough around the edges; they don’t look too perfect, which keeps them from looking too precious.

Photos: Marcio Madeira, Style.com; stylebakery.com

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University