I know what you’re thinking – whats “new” about florals for summer? The second the thermostat hits 60, designers everywhere begin flooding their showrooms with floral clothes, accessories and even beauty products. It’s a repeating trend I welcome with very open arms (I don’t think I’ll ever stop loving florals…) but it’s a trend that needs to evolve and mature, too – and this season, we’re seeing some amazing variations.
Below are some of my favorite picks for the updated summer floral trend:
- I love this sheer, oyster-pink tee from Topshop – instead of printing a floral pattern onto the shirt, they instead used super-textured beaded embellishments for a truly original look. This top would look great with dark high-waisted denim for some sharp contrast!
- This twisted shell (which has a cool black zipper down the back) is an edgy update on the floral trend: the watercolor pattern with nude, electric yellow, and pale aqua looks fresh and unexpected on the simple shape.
- I’m in love with this maxi skirt! Not only is it the perfect slim shape (whereas some maxi skirts puff out a Cinderella gown) but the artistic ombré effect looks completely new and unique. You could style this piece multiple ways, like with a leather jacket, cropped tee, or striped sweater. Even wearing this with a simple white tank would be absolutely stunning.
- These are probably the most fabulous Nikes I’ve ever seen – I love the juxtaposition of such a girly print on a sporty shoe. I’m dying to incorporate these into my wardrobe… They’d be just as perfect with skinny jeans and leggings as with little skirts and dresses.
- For a subtle take on the floral trend, try one of the newest daisy-chain headbands. The flower-child hippie vibe is undeniably cute, and it’s the perfect thing to keep your hair out of your face during those hot summer concerts.
- I love this giant sunflower bracelet – it’s feminine, bold, and a little ironic. This can give even the simplest outfit a hint of bohemian flair, and would look just as great layered with other bracelets (like thin gold bangles or braided leather wraps).
- If I could choose one item on this list to indulge in, it would undoubtedly be this floral bralette – which seems like the least practical piece! But it’s actually really versatile; it would be amazing peeking out of a little summer dress, cotton tank, or off-the-shoulder tee. So perfect for looking cute in hot weather!
- A nude embellished shoe will be your key summer piece – the color is flattering and neutral, and looks amazing with nearly everything in your closet. I love how the flowers on this shoe are a little rough around the edges; they don’t look too perfect, which keeps them from looking too precious.
Photos: Marcio Madeira, Style.com; stylebakery.com