The Art of Black Friday Shopping

Brace yourself for packed parking lots and endless lines at the cash wrap.  The ultimate day for die-hard shoppers looms near. 

Black Friday is right around the corner; but if you think you’re ready to brave the crowds, you’re going to need a failsafe strategy to navigate the chaos and emerge with the best deals.

Do your research

About a week before Black Friday, experienced shoppers collect sales papers and scour the internet for advertised items and deals.  Several websites – Including,, and Black Friday Ads – keep an updated list of the sales at each store and even scan their paper ads.

Create a plan of attack

After you’ve decided on what you’ll be shopping for, make sure to find out what time each store opens.  Some will offer “door-busters” and “early bird specials” for the first customers to arrive.

Get a head start

Many stores are now staying open on Thanksgiving day or opening their doors right at midnight, sometimes with better deals.  If you’re not overwhelmed by a turkey coma, try beating the rush a day early.

Keep your eyes on the prize

Black Friday isn’t the time for a leisurely stroll through the mall.  Select a few stores that have what you’re looking for, snag a parking spot and head straight to your item of choice.

Stay safe

Parents fighting over the hottest toys and eager customers getting trampled – sound familiar?  Don’t be one of them.  Remember, this is the holiday season, a “time of giving.” Be courteous, watch your belongings and keep your eyes on the actions of others.

There’s always Monday

If Black Friday madness isn’t your thing, online shoppers rejoice.  You can avoid the crowds behind your computer and still take advantage of the same deals on Cyber Monday.

Photo: tshein at

Junior > Journalism & International Studies > Indiana University

Not Worth The Fight

There are a lot of things I will never understand about the opposite sex, but one in particular is their...