Teens Make Their Choices

Like the Oscars, but minus the stuffiness and plus shrieking — the Teen Choice Awards took place last night at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Los Angeles. While the winners and categories seem remarkably similar from year to year, 2011 was the first year since 2007 that the show was actually held live.

The show was hosted by The Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco, but that was about the only recognition that show got. Instead, the TV category was dominated by the usual suspects — Gossip Girl, Glee, American Idol and anything having to do with vampires. Vampires also featured in the film category, with Twilight picking up some wins, but by and large, Harry Potter took home the big wins.

While the voting system is less professional than that of other award ceremonies — teens aged 13-19 can cast their votes online at teenchoiceawards.com, and the person or production with the most votes wins — it's interesting to see where young viewers' hearts truly lie. This award show probably tells major networks and film companies as much, if not more, than ceremonies like The Emmys or The Golden Globes. While the Teen Choice Awards are stereotypically host to a hoard of screaming girls, if the major players in the industry can listen through the shouts for Robert Pattinson, they might learn something useful. Read more about the show and the winners at E! Online.

Junior > Journalism > University of Pennsylvania

Win a Ticket to Young Women Run 2018 and Coffee With a Congresswoman!

“It all started when I met a Congresswoman for coffee,” you’ll say as you open your victory speech. College Magazine,...