Confession: Freshman me was often nostalgic about high school.
I know, damning, considering 99% of high school graduates will tell you that they hated every second of their high school experience and think the other 1% are liars and should probably be smacked for good measure. Honestly, with the amount of awkwardness and puberty and undistinguishable scents that seemed to taint the very air we breathed in, I get it.
However, when I really think about my four years in high school, I realize were more memorable that miserable. They were challenging academically, personally, extracurricular-ly, maybe even moreso than college. Let's reflect, shall we?
Academia, Thou Art A Villain…Kinda
Once, Twice, Three Times The School Clubs
On the other hand, I wouldn’t change any of that for the world. I met some of my very best friends in the performing arts and, as cliché as it sounds, I can’t even imagine what time in high school would even be like without singing and dancing and acting like a complete idiot with them. This is where I began to find out what the various parts of “me” are. Yes, I’m a junior in college still wondering what exactly I am supposed to be doing. But without my fellow actors, my fellow singers, my fellow would-be dancers (admit it guys, we really needed to stop “Wopping” all the time), I wouldn’t have half a clue as to what makes me me.
My nostalgia about high school has since faded since my freshman year of college, but I’ve been thinking about it a lot more lately now that my brother is a senior (quick, someone pass the Kleenex). Now that I’m halfway through college, and halfway to being an out-of-school, real time adult (!), I find that I don’t need to think about it as often. Those four years have some of my favorite and least favorite memories, but without them, college would have been completely different.
If you’re reading this in college, know that you’re not alone. It’s okay if you think talking about high school is lame – I get it, we all want to move on from it. But it’s also okay to remember the steps you’ve taken along the way – it makes you who you are.
If you’re reading this in high school, know that everything is what you make of it. Not everyone has a great experience, but I’m a believer in making your own choices and making yourself happy in every part of your life. I hope that you’re living every moment and every memory for you and only you – trust me, you’re going to hold on to that well after you receive your diploma. (Also, side note, how did you get to this website? Inquiring minds would like to know…).