Holiday Gift Guide for Parents

By Nancy Mucciarone > Junior > Syracuse University > Magazine Journalism

The holiday season is just around the corner, and we’re sure your wallet is feeling the pain of all the kegs, late-night pizzas and theme party costumes you purchased this semester. Still, there are gifts to be bought in the season of giving, especially for the people you care about. If you’re stressing about buying gifts for your parents, check out this guide for cool gifts from a range of prices that are perfect for mom or dad (or both).

Calendar
Poster: Every proud parent loves to see their children, especially when they’re at work, and this gift allows them to be reminded of great times with their families everyday while they’re at the office. The calendar poster lets you submit one or multiple photos to create a collage with the 12 months displayed below. At only $15.99, it’s a cheap way to give a thoughtful gift.

Frame Vows: Search around your house and see if you can get a copy of your parents’ wedding vows. You can either have them custom framed – although it can get quite pricey – or buy a frame and do it yourself. Your parents will be touched by your thoughtfulness and you’ll have some cash left over.

Wireless Grilling Thermometer: This thermometer allows your dad to grill while socializing without worrying about burning the meat. The thermometer verbally tells you when the food is “Almost Ready” and “Ready.” The thermometer “takes the guesswork out of grilling” and can be purchased at Brookstone for $69.99.

SmartShopper Deluxe: This device lets you speak into a microphone to create organized shopping and to-do lists without a hassle. Your mom can program in her favorite foods or most common tasks to make her day of errands a breeze. The SmartShopper Deluxe prints the lists when they are finished, and it can be purchased for $99.59.

Iceless Wine Chiller: This electronic wine chiller is great for parents who love having dinner parties or just enjoy opening a bottle of wine to share together. The wine chiller has an electronic thermometer that chills over 40 types of wine to their recommended temperature. The device also has a “quick chill” option that gets wine cold fast for those last minute occasions. The Iceless Wine Chiller is by Brookstone and is $99.95.

Industrial Alphabet Photography Framed Print:
This long rectangular frame has an individual spot for each letter of your name, and each one is filled with a different black and white photo of something that looks like that letter. The print is a wonderful family symbol and a conversation piece that your parents will love to mount on their wall. The art is $49.95 and can be bought from PersonalCreations.com.

Wincraft Snack Helmet: When your dad needs a break from his hectic work week, help him relax on Sunday with this football team-themed snack bowl. The full-size football helmet can be ordered for any football team and includes two removable dishes for snacks – one in the face guard and one in the top of the helmet. At $54.99 from Dick’s Sporting Goods, it’s a great way to give your dad a little more team spirit for his favorite squad.

21 Ways to Actually Land a Job at Your School’s Career Fair

If you go to career fairs suited up and correctly prepared, you may actually get a job out of it....