By Allyson Dickman>Senior>Journalism>University of Maryland

Winter break means no homework, no boring lectures and no 2-hour exams. But with our brief weeks of freedom, sometimes home can get a little … dull. Seriously, what do you do when your friend’s basement kegger gets old and the bars won’t overlook that fake I.D. like they will at college? Go see a movie, of course.

Here are the flicks we’re most excited to see over break:

1. Sherlock Holmes (out Christmas Day): This comedic, yet action-packed version of the classic detective tale has no lack of eye candy. A mustachioed Jude Law plays Watson to Robert Downey Jr.’s Holmes, and Rachel McAdams plays the coy love interest. All three join in together to solve Holmes’ latest mystery and fight to save England from evil.

2. Youth in Revolt (out January 8, 2010): The lovable Michael Cera is at it again, this time chasing his dream girl, played by Portia Doubleday, in hopes of losing the big V-card. But to win her over, he adopts an alter-ego, a less boring and predictable teen, who smokes cigarettes, wears aviators and a sports a mustache … not to mention, this alter-ego is the inspiration behind reckless, dangerous and hilarious schemes.

3. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (in some theaters Christmas Day): In Heath Ledger’s last movie, Director Terry Gilliam sets a morality tale in the present day. Dr. Parnassus, owner of a traveling theater company, strikes a deal with the devil, trading his immortality and first-born child for youth. But when the devil comes to collect Parnassus’ daughter, Valentina, Parnassus refuses. The ensuing story pits Parnassus against the devil as the doctor enlists the help of other characters, played by Ledger, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law, to protect his daughter.

4. Nine (out December 18): Based on the Broadway play of the same name, this twisted love story combines burlesque and drama, starring Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson and Marion Cotillard. The actresses put on sultry song and dance performances, all in an attempt to win the love of Daniel Day Lewis.

5. Avatar (December 18): We all know James Cameron for Titanic and Terminator, but now he’s taking us on a film journey like never before. In Avatar, a paraplegic soldier working as an avatar in the distant planet, Pandora, finds himself pitted against the U.S. in a fight for the distant land. Unbelievable special affects and battle scenes make this movie a holiday season must-see.

Holiday Gift Guide for Parents

By Nancy Mucciarone > Junior > Syracuse University > Magazine Journalism The holiday season is just around the corner, and...