Cozy Chic

Fall is in full swing, and for the 129th time, my mission is to make you look fierce, on-trend and fabulous. Let’s discuss three of fall’s most essential pieces, shall we?

You already know I love a good fall knit – especially paired with markedly less-cozy items, like sharp pencil skirts or blinding neon hues. This season it’s all about slouchy, slightly oversize sweaters with exaggerated textures and colors; think magenta mohair and massive cables. But you already knew all of this. The real question is: what looks all-at-once chic, edgy and effortless with chunky sweaters? Only leather skirts, of course.

Leather has been hot for… oh, I don’t know, a few years? From moto jackets to ankle boots, we can’t seem to get enough of the trend. And am I complaining? Not in this century. But it wasn’t until this fall that a full embrace of leather clothing really took effect; I’ll admit I wouldn’t have worn a leather skirt this time last year. Or the year before that, either. As of late, leather skirts have truly become the “it” piece of the season, and they clearly deserve a home in your wardrobe. But this isn’t the time to go all… dominatrix on us. An itty-bitty leather mini will look just as garish and unflattering as a skin-tight leather knee-length – shape is the key factor here. Choose a skirt that is a little bit slouchy, like a slitted pencil skirt, a playful wrap or a flouncy A-line. (It also helps to choose a skirt made of relatively thin leather [or faux leather]. It will hang much better than thick, stiff leather.) Then throw on your favorite fall knit and go!

…But upon looking down, you’ll notice you’re barefoot. Don’t worry, I don’t want your toes to freeze, but I forbid you from grabbing those soggy, sloppy Uggs… or your favorite riding boots. (Warning: TOO MUCH LEATHER. Way too much leather.) You need something clean, yet bold… warm, yet not shearling, or leather, or sloppy. Behold: the chic sneaks! A cool pair of kicks will carry you through fall in a giddy, heel-clicking (not to mention comfortable) way, and cool-girl brands like Forfex, Converse and Nike will always have your back. What else are friends for? (Bonus points for leopard prints and Barbie-approved sequins.)

{Look #1: Helmut Lang pullover, Alice + Oliva Skirt, Converse high tops // Look #2: Thakoon Addition ribbed pullover, Maje skirt, Keds sneakers // Jil Sander cardigan, Topshop skirt, Converse sequin leather high tops}

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

Win a VIP Ticket & Flight to IGNITE’s 2018 San Francisco Summit and Coffee with an Elected Official!

Ready to take the next step on your political journey? College women can—and will—change the world for generations to come....