27 GIFs That Perfectly Capture Your Summer Serving Gig

If you’re anything like me, you might also be in a perpetual “man, I could really use some extra cash” state of mind. The price tag attached to a college education is no joke, and most parents aren’t super keen on the idea of also financing your weekly Friday night bar crawl. What’s a money-hungry, tight-scheduled superstar like you to do? Step one: If you’re going to have an easy summer job, make it a serving gig.

I worked retail jobs for four years before I introduced myself to the wonderful world of the restaurant biz. Though the discount J.Crew gives its associates is pretty generous, moments like the ones on this list are the reason I kissed the mountains of chinos goodbye, and never looked back.

1. When it’s your first day and you break three glasses in front of customers

giphy.com
giphy.com

2. When you realize you completely forgot one of your tables exists

giphy.com
giphy.com

3. When the cute guy/gal you’ve been serving leaves you a phone number on your tip receipt

giphy.com
giphy.com

4. When the creepy guy/gal you’ve been serving leaves a phone number, address and Instagram handle on your tip receipt

giphy.com
giphy.com

5. When someone asks you to list every ingredient in the lunch special, and you’re just like:

giphy.com
giphy.com

6. When you ask if a customer wants a side of fries, and he’s all like:

giphy.com
giphy.com

7. And so you’re all like:

giphy.com
giphy.com

8. When you seat a table with a baby in the party

giphy.com
giphy.com

9. When said baby proceeds, as expected, to shriek throughout the meal

giphy.com
giphy.com

10. When you get a killer tip

giphy.com
giphy.com

11. When a customer walks out the door without tipping you

giphy.com
giphy.com

12. When you have to be friendly with customers even though you’re really hungover

giphy.com
giphy.com

13. When the 17-person table asks for separate checks and you have to be all like, “Oh sure, no prob!”

giphy.com
giphy.com

14. When someone asks your favorite menu item

cdn.gurl.com
cdn.gurl.com

15. When someone wants to do tequila shots at 11 a.m.

giphy.com
giphy.com

16. When you have to close the night of your friend’s 21st birthday party

giphy.com
giphy.com

17. When you have to work a double the one time your friends go to the beach

giphy.com
giphy.com

18. When you have six tables and all the food comes out at once

giphy.com
giphy.com

19. When you catch yourself singing cheesy songs from the playlist at work

giphy.com
giphy.com

20. When you come to take a drink order and interrupt a familial dispute

giphy.com
giphy.com

21. When you go to restaurants and you’re extra supportive of your server because you know the struggle

giphy.com
giphy.com

22. When you tell people how much you make from an average dinner shift

giphy.com
giphy.com

23. When you remember to put an order in late, and you’re praying to the restaurant gods the food comes out before the table complains

giphy.com
giphy.com

24. When your co-worker asks what meal you’re going to have on break, but you already ate out six times this week

giphy.com
giphy.com

25. When the cooks are part of your server squad, too

giphy.com
giphy.com

26. When you walk by work on your day off, and you witness a dinner rush to end all dinner rushes

giphy.com
giphy.com

27. When someone asks if you love your job, and you just can’t lie — you do

giphy.com
giphy.com

Victoria is a junior at the University of Virginia studying media studies and English. She undergoes a minor existential crisis on a weekly basis and plans on changing the world right after this cup of coffee.