10 Rom Coms for Single People That Won’t Send You Running Back To Your Ex

People love to hate romantic comedies, but everyone can admit to knowing at least a few titles. We know screenwriters compose the stories. We know only a small chance exists of someone making that mad dash through the airport and catching us just before we get on a plane. But that doesn’t matter. Rom coms represent the purest form of wish-fulfillment, the cotton candy of movies: super sweet and completely lacking substance, but so freaking delicious. When you find yourself single, especially newly so, they can feel hard to watch. Lucky for you we’ve compiled a list of 10 rom coms you can count on to still make you laugh and cry when find yourself single AF.

Explore these 10 Rom-Coms for Single People That Won’t Send You Running Back To Your Ex.

1. Friends with Benefits

Friends With Benefits makes for the perfect film if you want a romantic comedy that doesn’t overdo it on the tender moments: sweet, but not sickly sweet. It also helps that basically everyone has dubbed the two main characters Jamie (Milla Kunis) and Dylan (Justin Timberlake), two of the hottest people on the planet. Besides the knee-jerk, “because Justin Timberlake,” answer as to why this movie gets so much love, one answer sticks out. “The storyline of it just seems so real to me. Someone always develops feelings in a friends-with-benefits situation. I liked seeing how the characters’ relationship played out,” said FSU junior Jasmine Johnson. If you’ve ever thought about acquiring a friend with benefits, this movie shows in the most charming way what you don’t want to do—fall in love.

2. How To Be Single

Somewhere in the midst of having her lady parts rearranged in Fifty Shades Of Grey, actress Dakota Johnson found time to learn how to get on with her life after a long relationship portraying Alice in How To Be Single. If you find yourself single and in need of a rom com that doesn’t shove a perfect love story down your throat, give this movie a try. While you watch, Rebel Wilson might teach you something about how this whole single-life thing supposedly goes down. Or, at least, she’ll tell you how to figure out your drink quota.

3. Trainwreck

Amy Schumer: Need I say more? Get ready to watch Schumer (conveniently playing a character named Amy) as she navigates through the flaming dumpster fire of her life and comes out better for having gone through it. Perhaps you can relate. While cliché, the movie still makes a good watch. “I watch romantic comedies because they’re easy to watch. I don’t mind that I know what’s going to happen,” said Florida State junior Amanda Caplan. Written by Schumer herself, this movie will keep you laughing from start to finish.

4. Just Go With It

If you want laughs and appreciate slapstick comedy, you really can’t go wrong with an Adam Sandler flick. In this piece of cinematic gold, we watch Sandler’s character, Danny, take a dream vacation with his fake wife, played by Jennifer Aniston, to impress his gorgeous dream girl, Palmer. Remember, we’ve entered the realm of the rom com. It doesn’t have to make sense. It only needs to distract you while you procrastinate on writing your research paper. Go ahead and relax a little. Leave the stress until after you finish crying with laughter.

5. Love Actually

When asked what rom com they’d recommend, almost anyone would mention Love Actually. The movie follows the loosely connected lives of several couples as they fall into and out of love. “I feel like there’s something in it for everyone. It shows so many different kinds of relationships,” said Florida State senior Cameron Bibaud. From the love shared between friends and family to the exciting sparks of new love, this movie has something in it for you. And, with all the craziness of papers, exams, and being away from your loved ones while at university, you can count on Love Actually to leave you with some positive feels.

6. Knocked Up

Like dumb, dirty comedies? In the 11 years since it came out in 2007, Knocked Up remains one of those crazy funny movies that people love to reference. You should expect nothing less from the Judd Apatow, director of The 40 Year Old Virgin. And, just like the name “Kelly Clarkson,” after watching Knocked Up, you’ll never hear the word “doorman” and without giving at least a little bit of a snicker ever again. Add some heavy drinking, one awkward hookup and just a pinch of shrooms to make this into an iconic film. That special blend of freedom and irresponsibility just screams college life.

7. 27 Dresses

If nothing else, this movie makes you feel good about your own life as it takes bad scenarios to impossible heights. In 27 Dresses, Katherine Heigl plays Jane, a woefully hopeless romantic and unappreciated doormat of a person. Depressed over a crush not noticing you? At least you don’t work as your crush’s personal assistant. Jealous of your crush’s new fiancé? Let’s thank the universe you don’t have to help them plan their wedding and be his wifey’s maid of honor. Try this movie out and remember that life could always cook up something much worse.

8. 10 Things I Hate About You

A list of romantic comedies would not feel complete without the 1999 classic. Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger’s characters make the most adorably chaotic and perfectly imperfect couple you’ve ever seen. When you watch this movie you’ll undoubtedly feel attached to the ups and downs of their relationship, hoping they work it out before the movies ends. “I watched it for the first time last year and, as a freshman, I thought it was so relatable. It made me think of people I knew back home,” said FSU sophomore Tina. We double-dog-dare you not to get choked up on all that high school nostalgia.

9. Clueless

Ah, the 90s—a better time, a simpler time. Writer Amy Heckerling crafts a story around a rich airhead, concerned mostly with looks and playing matchmaker. Clueless could possibly prove the most popular movie on this list, though not because of its strong connection to the rom com genre. The story revolves more around Alicia Silverstone’s character becoming a better, less shallow young woman than anything else. If you like movies about high school and don’t want anything too heavy or full of angst, Clueless won’t let you down. If, even now, you still haven’t seen it, you’ve missed out on a good chunk of pop culture. Give it a shot.

10. Bridesmaids

Dignity, grace, poise: all things that the cast of this movie takes and stomps on, in favor of making the raunchy comedy you actually want to see. In Bridesmaids, Saturday Night Live writers, Kristin Wiig and Annie Munolo, gave us a film about friendship, love and picking yourself back up after hitting rock bottom. Even though we can call all of the movies on this list funny, this one pretty much takes the cake. “It’s one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a long time. I definitely know what it feels like to dislike some of my friend’s friends,” said recent graduate of University of North Florida Vania Predelus. If you’ve ever been just tiniest bit jealous of you best friend’s new bestie, you’ll love this movie.

Breanna Cummings is a senior at Florida State University working as a staff writer with College Magazine. As an aspiring book editor, she can be found reading or making forts out of piles of old rough drafts. In her free time, she likes watching old movies with family and cooking with friends.