I Switched Majors My Junior Year of College and I Couldn’t Be Happier

In high school, I dreamt of becoming a surgeon. I wanted to stand beside an open chest cavity and perform miracles. I wanted to be the person that people came to when they needed help. My own experiences with the medical field led me to believe that it was what I was meant to do.

In seventh grade, I began the arduous surgical process to have my right leg lengthened. I was born with a genetic condition that caused my right leg to be about four inches shorter than my left and resulted in scoliosis, back and knee problems. I spent most of my middle and high school career either at the hospital or in physical therapy. For some reason, though, I didn’t mind it. I liked looking at my x-rays and navigating the sterile halls of the hospital. I figured that by having gone through this process, I would be better equipped to console my future patients.

The thought of 14 years of school didn’t scare me; I was convinced that I was meant to study medicine.

Fast forward to my freshman year of college at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I began the prerequisite classes needed for medical school anxious and excited to take the first steps into my future career. I joined research labs and began volunteering at the local hospital.

However, as my college career progressed, I noticed that I was becoming a tightly wound ball of anxiety. I would spend my time constantly studying, only to get B’s and C’s in my classes. The summer of my junior year, I knew I no longer had the grades to get into medical school. Not only that, but I realized I wasn’t happy with my chosen field. Did I really want to be giving it my all only to constantly fail?

When I complained about my summer class to my aunt, she simply told me, “If you hate it, don’t do it.” And for some reason, that resonated with me. I realized I didn’t need to be putting myself through my own personal hell each day to achieve a dream I wasn’t sure I wanted anymore. I realized my family just wanted me to be happy, and I finally found that I needed to do the same.

As soon as school started this past fall, I switched my major to English.

Realizing that I simply couldn’t make myself be good at something, no matter how hard I worked at it, was the hardest part. I desperately wanted to be good at math and science and see my dream through to completion, but deep down I knew this career wasn’t for me. I was working myself to tears and setting impossible standards for myself.

The science classes I took taught me valuable life lessons, but the most important thing I learned from them is when to realize I’ve had enough. At the beginning of the semester, I went back and forth constantly. I worried that I would regret switching to English and giving up on a dream I had nurtured for so long. Eventually, I decided that if I still thought I had made a mistake by the end of the semester, I could always switch back.

Now, halfway through the semester, I know I made the right decision. I hear my friends stress over their organic chemistry class, and I can’t help but think how glad I am to not need to struggle with memorizing anatomical functions or calculating chemical equations. Although I had always found math and science interesting, I never had a natural affinity for the subjects. I had really wanted to be good at it for the sake of my future career.

Instead, I have always loved to read and write, and now I get to do that. I’m pursuing what I love, instead of trying to force myself to love what I was pursuing. Medicine will always have a special place in my heart, but I realize that I can still use my appreciation for science in my writing.

I hadn’t given up on a dream. Instead, I found a new one.

Student, writer, lover of words and science. Junior at UW-Madison studying English and Psychology.

Clemson University
CM’s Guide to Clemson University

Clemson University— Clemson, South Carolina Clemson’s Instagram The Vibe Small Southern town with big city opportunities What it Feels Like...