Remember that Asher Roth song (the only Asher Roth song) from a few years ago that no one liked except for freshman and kids in high school? It was all about things Roth loved about college: drinking, women, beer pong, weed, naked girls, keg stands and chugging. You know what he never mentioned? Homework. It’s no surprise that homework is probably pretty far down on the list of great things about college, but that doesn’t mean you can’t work on repairing your broken relationship with it.
Here are ten tips on making your homework just to fun to do as a beer bong.
- Pick classes that interest you. You’ll be more likely to do your work if you actually like what you’re learning about. I took an awesome class on the social history of New York City once and part of my homework was staying on the six train at the end of the line to see an abandoned subway station. That sure beats doing a physics problem set.
- Make a to-do list. Nothing feels good like crossing something off of a to-do list. Another tip: if you make your list really long and fill it with mundane tasks that you can cross off right away, it will be even better. Some repeat offenders on my to-do lists include: “shower,” “text ____,” “pick outfit for tomorrow.”
- Listen to music. Remember at every middle school basketball game they would play Jock Jams at halftime to pump you up? And more likely to make you forget that you were losing by 10 points. Not saying you have to listen to “We Like to Party” on repeat for six hours, but a little music is good for the soul.
- Reward yourself. The first part of this tip is to download the program Self Control. Once you’ve done that, set it for a reasonable amount of time (an hour?) If you have managed to focus on your homework and not check Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Four Square (is that even something you can check?) or MySpace (is that even something you can check?) for the entire hour, then allow yourself fifteen minutes of free time to play around on the Internet.
- Don’t do it alone. Who says you can’t have a homework party? Invite some friends over on a Tuesday night, get some snacks, bring some books and have a great time. My roommates and I have made it a habit to congregate in the living room every night to do homework together and believe it or not, I feel like I get more done when I see other people doing homework. Plus they’ll be able to tell if I just sit at my computer and watch seven consecutive episodes of Party Down.
- Don’t go to the library everyday. Mixing up your study spot will break up your nightly, mundane task could could help your ability to learn. Instead of staring at the cinder block walls in your dorm or the stacks in the library, change it up by doing your homework in a coffee shop or in the park.
- Involve alcohol. You can add combine this tip with the last three to make them even better. Reward yourself with a beer, have your friends bring over snacks and wine, try to study somewhere with a great happy hour menu.
- Blog about it. Ever want to complain about homework but feel like no one wants to hear it? Well, the Internet does. Start a collective blog with people from your class and take turn writing about how pointless the homework is. You have to do it either way, so why not blow off some steam?
- Buy sweet supplies. Buy one of those awesome pens that doubles as a Post-it dispenser and then try telling me you don’t want to annotate your copy of the Odyssey.
- Try it naked. I mean, why not, right?