By: Stacie Caplan>Film>University of Western Ontario
Knowing that it’s finally time to trade in parkas and winter boots for flats and sandals is exciting. With the warm weather brings new trends. Even though some designer clothing may be pricey, there are many stores that sell the exact same designs for cheaper prices. Some of the most popular trends for Spring 2010 include jeggings, denim outfits, floral patterns, rompers, and wedge sandals.
1. If you add jeans + leggings, you get jeggings. One of the biggest trends this season, many stores and designers are coming out with their own styles. They are comfortable, and can be worn casually with a t-shirt, or out to the bar with a fancy ruffled tank top. FabSugar.com doesn’t think jeggings “seem to be disappearing anytime soon, with the English Oxford Dictionary introducing the term on their new word waiting list for 2009.” Looks like jeggings are here to stay!
Urban Outfitters is a great store to find up-to-date fashions. They sell clothing, shoes, and accessories ranging in prices from $15 to $100+. The styles of the products are hip and kitschy, selling unique brands.
2. Even though denim ensembles used to be a major fashion faux pas, they have been seen on the runways and is one of Spring’s newest style. Denim on denim outfits include vests, shorts, skirts, dresses and shirts. Elle.com recognizes denim as one of it’s top Spring trends, and mentions “From denim-on-denim done right to the perfect jean jacket, the spring runways were awash with modern updates to the all-American classic.”
Target not only sells cosmetics, groceries, and makeup but also offers men’s and women’s clothing and shoes. The styles of the clothing and shoes follow major trends, but are also reasonably priced making it a great store to find the newest trends.
3. With flowers blooming in the gardens, floral designs on clothing are also blooming in stores. From tops to rompers to skirts, pretty flower designs are making a statement. Floral patterns add femininity to an outfit and allow your closet to be brighter.
Forever 21 always offers new styles and has cheap prices. They have a great selection of clothing, shoes, and accessories.
4. There is no outfit easier to put together than a romper, which is a mix between a dress and shorts. Simply add a pair of sandals or pumps and some jewelry and your outfit is set. They are perfect for all occasions, including a visit to the beach, a shopping date around the mall, or a night out on the town. Rompers were a favorite of designers at New York Fashion Week’s spring collection.
If you like clothing at The Gap, Old Navy sells similar products for a cheaper price. The clothes are simple yet usually follow popular fads.
5. Originating in 1936 by Salvatore Ferragamo, the wedge heel is back for Spring 2010. The wedge is a great way to add height and lengthen your legs. Different styles of the wedge include, cork wedge, gladiator wedge, pump, strappy sandal, and espadrille. They also look good with any length skirt, dress, or jeans.
Similar to Forever 21, Wet Seal is a chain store that sells up to date fashion trends. They sell tops, tees and tanks, sweaters, bottoms, jeans, dresses, jackets, accessories, shoes, and intimates. Wet Seal also offers plus size clothing.
Photo from http://www.omiru.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lindsay-voile-sundress_080909.jpg