Two for One

It’s rare that two trends can happily coexist in one outfitPastel skinny jeans would look silly with tribal prints, just as a Peter Pan collared blouse would look totally wrong with a neon skirt or pants.  Not cute. 

But one of the easiest outfit combinations right now involves two very key, very trendy winter pieces: the chunky sweater and the flowy midi skirt. These simple, uncomplicated pieces become strikingly chic when paired together – you get a hint of the polished femininity of the 40s. Leave your sweater untucked and fasten a belt around your waist so your figure doesn’t disappear, then add low, ladylikeblock-heels for a bit of height.

This look works equally well both day and night; try a colorful skirt (sorbet hues like pale pink always become more versatile than you’d expect) with a neutral sweater and rugged leather belt during the day. Leopard shoes and a chunky link bracelet add a hint of whimsy.

Up the ante for nighttime with a shimmering silver lamé skirt. The flippy silhouette and conservative length tone down the show-stopping metallic finish, and by adding a pale grey knit, glittery belt, simple black shoes, and a bauble necklace, the vibe remains low-key, yet unbelievably elegant.

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

william and mary sports clubs
The 10 Quirkiest Club Sports at the College of William and Mary

William & Mary’s intense academic culture can make us seem like we’re all work and no fun. While we definitely...