Trendy Tweed

The fall season is always trend-heavy, but this time around we’re making a conscious effort to get back to basics. Pants are suddenly more stylish than ever; from waxed denim to 70s flares to bright pops of color, these functional necessities are suddenly the stylish girl’s wardrobe essential.

But what’s the best way to style the daring new pant trends?

You can’t exactly wear a neon blouse with your hot pink silk crops, nor is a leather jacket appropriate for your faux-leather jeans. But by looking further back into the fashion files, I quickly realized a foolproof way to style any pant, no matter how risqué: a bouclé jacket.

When I think of a bouclé jacket – truthfully one of my all-time favorite pieces – I immediately think of boxy little Chanel numbers from the 20s and 30s. The neutral shape, nubby texture, and feminine details (like braided edges, metallic threads, crystal embellishments and zippers) have helped bouclé jackets stand the test of time. And the latest emphasis on juxtaposition means these jackets are more versatile than ever; pairing a retro tweedy jacket with ultra-modern waxed pants or distressed denim creates easy, chic contrast. It’s all about creating that perfect balance; try a prim and proper cream-and-black jacket with daring faux leather pants, then add some vibrant heels, a python clutch and an androgynous watch. Or, choose an edgy black jacket (complete with black studs, metallic threads and gold zippers) and pair it with high-waist denim skinny jeans, a giant cognac tote, boxheeled leopard flats and a stack of delicate bangles. You’ll look all-at-once elegant, fashion-forward and totally effortless.

{Outfit #1: Moschino jacket, Topshop pants, Nixon watch, Zara clutch, Jimmy Choo wedges// Outfit #2: Moschino jacket, Mother jeans, Stella & Dot bangles, Zara tote, Topshop flats}

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

southern methodist university
CM’s Guide to Southern Methodist University

Southern Methodist University—Dallas, Texas SMU’s Instagram The Vibe Put a little prep in your step What it Feels Like to...