You’ve done the impossible. After months of pining and pursuing, you’ve landed the girl of your dreams. But you’re not done yet – in the words of the Spice Girls, “if you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends.” Here’s a list of the best ways to win over your girlfriend’s best biddies, and in turn, win your lady’s endless approval.
1. Find common ground. Make an effort to find what mutually interests both you and her girls. Maybe your girlfriend’s roommate has the same favorite band as you, or maybe her best friend from home is just as obsessed with The Walking Dead as you are. When you find something in common, milk it and go with it.
2. Be genuinely interested. The operative word here is “be.” Don’t pretend. A woman will see through this charade in seconds. If you’re truly interested in her, she’ll know, and she’ll love you for it.
3. Respect their space. When you’re spending the night at your girlfriend’s dorm, remember that girls live differently than boys do. Things that are not okay: leaving the seat up, coating the sink with shaved facial hair, scratching your you-know-what in front of them. Ew. Remember all the times your mom scoffed at a burp or a fart and just don’t do it.
4. Be nice, even when your girlfriend’s not there. Just because she’s not around doesn’t mean you can ignore her friends. The key to winning them over is maintaining a relationship. In fact, be even nicer when your girl’s not there. They’ll remember it later.
5. Stop and say hi. If you see your girlfriend’s friends on campus, stop and say hi, even if you’re busy, even if you’re in a hurry. It’s a small gesture, but it goes a long way.
6. Hang out…without your girlfriend. Even if it’s awkward at first. If you wanna make friends, you gotta put in the hours.
7. Establish inside jokes. Everyone loves inside jokes. An inside joke is an immediate connection, and it establishes a level of intimacy. Plus, it gives you something to talk about the next time you hang out.
8. Do them a favor. Whether they need a ride to the grocery store or notes from a missed class, jump at the chance to make their lives easier. Automatic major brownie points.
9. Give Them Their Space. While you want to be friends with them, there’s no need to be in their lives, or your girlfriend’s, all the time. Let them have their girl nights without interruption. You don’t want them to have to complain that you’re a constant presence in the room.
10. Respect your girlfriend. No matter what, always respect your girlfriend. Listen to her, be kind to her, and don’t be afraid to be a little PDA in public. When the roomies are chatting over Saturday breakfast, they’ll remember how cute you two were together at the bar last night. At the end of the day, her friends will appreciate a guy who appreciates their friend.