The Mid–College Crisis: Survival Edition

When graduates reminisce and gloat about their college glory days, they often “forget” to include the gory details of their mid–college crisis. For those unfamiliar with the term, it’s the period between sophomore and junior year when students begin feeling either overwhelmed with frustration and dejection because graduation is imminent or jaded with the predictable college routine.

Granted, not all college students encounter this distressing phase of life, but a majority will eventually start to question the rationality of their choices. Here are some common anxieties and issues regarding the mid–college crisis and advice on how to deal with them.

The Real World is Scary!

That’s true. However, do you know what else is scary? It’s scary having to spend four years of your life at an institution for the purpose of attending long lectures on challenging and diverse subjects while being surrounded by thousands of strangers. But you’re already living through that frightening scenario, aren’t you? The real world is just another environment that may seem intimidating at first, but you can thrive if you use your resources and remember to ask for help when you need it. There are a million other graduates who will experience apprehension, uncertainty, and unease along with you. You are not alone!

I’m Not Sure What I Want to Do With My Life

What interests you? Is there anything that stirs your spirits and excites you? (If yes, then pursue it! And you can also advance to the next paragraph. If no, then please keep reading.) I would suggest that you try out new hobbies or activities. You never know what you may be excellent at unless you pursue a variety of endeavors. Your life’s passion may be something that you least expect like mastering the art of puppetry or piecing together wicked broomsticks for Quidditch players.

I Don’t Think I Will Get a Job After College

With the media constantly reminding us about the high unemployment rate, it’s natural to believe that the chances of obtaining a job post-graduation are unlikely. However, no matter how long you deliberate on these daunting statistics, the fact of the matter is that all the thinking in the world will not affect your prospects of attaining employment. Action is the key. You must be proactive in your search for a job and gain as much experience as you can. It’s not too late to apply for internships and get your foot (or some other limb if you’d prefer) through the door.

Sophomore > Writing for Film and Television > Emerson College