The Best Tweeted-About College Moments of 2012

@BinghamtonUniversity #hazing

Binghamton University halted all fraternity and sorority pledging in spring 2012 after an “alarmingly high number of serious hazing complaints.” Think the policy was too harsh? After another recent hazing scandal at Northern Illinois University where freshman David Bogenberger was found dead and 22 members of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity were issued arrest warrants, we’re leaning towards the conservative side too.

@Harvard #cheating #scandal

It was called “the most widespread cheating scandal” in campus history. Well, Harvard is number 5 on CM’s list of most high-strung schools. 125 students cheated on a take-home exam for a course called Introduction to Congress and Harvard failed all of them.

@PennState #Sandusky

Jerry Sandusky, a defensive coordinator at Penn State, was convicted in June of 45 counts of molesting 10 boys in a 15-year period and sentenced to 60 years in prison. During the grand jury investigation, several others were charged with perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse. Paterno was fired as head football coach and university president Graham Spanier was forced to resign.

@BostonCollege #santouchsky?

BC’s women’s soccer team’s second-leading scorer, Stephanie McCaffrey, was suspended after she tweeted about the Sandusky scandal before their NCAA tournament game against Penn State.

@Amherst #rape #coverup

Angie Epifano, a former student of the 2014 class, spoke out this year in an article about her experience reporting rape to the authorities at Amherst. The sexual assault counselor asked her, “Are you SURE it was rape? It might have just been a bad hookup…You should forgive and forget.”

@UCLA @USC #beatSC #fUCLA

Like every year, Bruins and Trojans take over Twitter to remind everyone that UCLA vs. USC is one of the biggest college rivalries ever. But this game was the first time UCLA beat USC in six years, so Westwood stayed drunk for the weekend celebration.

@NYU #sorority #sistersforlife #justkidding

It’s really just a “he said, she said” misunderstanding. A fraternity hosted an open party (and obviously had alcohol), but the large number of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority members showing up led nationals to see it as a formal AST mixer. So they said goodbye to all 49 girls that went to the party. 19 more dropped out in solidarity. So in two secs, a sorority with approximately 100 girls was down a whole 75%.

@OikosUniversity #schoolshooting

This was the third-deadliest university shooting in United States history, after the Virginia Tech tragedy and the University of Texas clock tower shooting. The suspected shooter is a 43-year-old former student called One L. Goh. His hearing has been postponed til Jan. 7, after they received a second psychiatrist’s evaluation to determine if he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.

@Vanderbilt #photobooth #sexscandal

Kappa Delta’s photobooth pictures from their winter formal got uploaded straight to Facebook. While everyone else is worried about untagging their less-than-flattering photos, this sorority girl and cheerleader saw her photos of giving her formal date a blowjob and some back action go viral. She’s since been kicked off the squad and out of the sorority and the photos have been forwarded to the law schools she applied to.

Image: Mashable

Sophomore > Communication Studies > UCLA