Inspired by our favorite TV shows, songs and writers, these one-liners are guaranteed to get you through this semester.
1. “Turn down for what?” – Lil Jon
This one comes in handy when you’re having a blast on Friday night. Turn down for nothing.
2. “No new friends.” – Drake
Use this one to stop the flow of random people coming into your house. It’s easier to quote Drake and slam the door in their face while creepily whispering, “Sorry, no new friends,” rather then trying to ask them who they know inside. Love the friends you have and be grateful of the close relationships you’ve already formed.
3. “Saturday is for sleeping.” – New Girl
If you haven’t flunked out of college by now, it’s probably because you spend the majority of your time not sleeping due to cramming, paper writing and late night Bravo marathons while binge eating pretzels. Take one day to yourself; you deserve and need it. Just be out of bed before 9 p.m. so you can participate in the evening festivities.
4. “I’d rather be smart than a movie star.” – Natalie Portman
When you start to doubt your education, remember how much more value intelligence holds over fame. Even Natalie Portman made sure she got her Harvard degree while on her path to stardom.
5. “The work never ends, but college does.” – Tom Petty
Take every opportunity and join that party or night out; you only have eight semesters to live it up before you’re thrust in to the real world, so make it count.
6. “It doesn’t matter if they like you, just remember to be kind.” – Kimya Dawson
You may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but kindness is always admirable.
7. “Will this matter a year from now?” – Richard Carlson
Stress of exams and classes and schoolwork in general can make you feel like you’re drowning, and a bad grade can feel like the end of the world. But if you often remind yourself to look at the big picture, you’ll find that most of the stress is not worth it.
8. “When work feels overwhelming, remember that you’re going to die.”
On that note, here’s a sadistic, morbid outlook on the truth about why your schoolwork actually doesn’t matter at all.
9. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.” – Isak Dinesen
Go for a run, cry while listening to Bright Eyes and if you can’t go for a walk on the beach, Google pictures of Nantucket. Instant peace, I promise.
10. “Live fast. Die young. Be wild. Have fun.” – Lana Del Rey
In a nutshell: be reckless while you still can.