How University of Florida Students Crush Spring Break 2015

Out-of-stater gators are almost always surprised to learn that their brand new home in Gainesville, Fla. isn't exactly the picturesque beach, clear blue water and swaying palm trees they were picturing. Fair warning: good old Gainesville is located in North Central Florida, about two hours away from the nearest beach. No, you don't live where others vacation and no, there's not an endless supply of fruity drinks. It might always be hot outside here, but that doesn't mean there isn't constant humidity and rain. However, UF students do boast the advantage of being just a short drive away from some of the most legendary Spring Break spots in the country. 

Panama City Beach 

Panama City Beach is not for the weak. Combine every stereotype you've ever heard about Spring Break, every movie you've ever seen about Spring Break and every story you've ever heard about it and you might get the equivalent of the week-long party at Panama City Beach. It's that epic. The less clothing the better, but the more neon the better. Honestly, it's pretty rachet. It's crowded, it's hot, everyone is drunk and you will 100 percent have beer poured on your head at one point or another. That being said, you should still go. It's an experience you'll only get to have in college, and you have to appreciate just how crazy it is. There's always celebrity performers, live DJ's, free cover at clubs and a party at every hour of the day. Book your PCBeach Spring Break stat and don't miss out. 

Caribbean Cruise

With just a five-hour roadtrip down to Miami, Fla., UF students will find themselves in the midst of most major cruise ports. Many round up their friends and set sail together on a five-day Royal Caribbean cruise around the Caribbean Islands, making sure to make a pit stop in Mexico for a day of partying at Señor Frogs. Usually, each of the various fraternities will plan specific Spring Break trips on different cruise lines. Most girls pick their favorite fraternity gentlemen and join them for pre-scheduled debauchery. You'll probably be drunk for five days straight, but you've never really experienced a vacation until you've done it alongside your favorite frat stars. Those looking for a shorter trip usually take a three-day cruise to the Bahamas. Upon your arrival at the end of the cruise, make sure to check out all South Florida has to offer. 

Key West 

Another popular destination is Key West to spend your days tanning on the beach and nights at bars and clubs. Most will rent out a beach house with a large group of friends, but hotels also provide really nice ammenties such as pools and spas. Key West is also overflowing with history and culture, so those looking for a tamer option can spend their time touring, shopping and devouring key lime pie in the quaint little town.

Paige Levin is a sophomore studying journalism and political science at the University of Florida. When she’s not re-watching her box set of FRIENDS, you can probably find her talking about Panera mac and cheese (or just food in general). Currently, her interests (or obsessions) lie in everything and anything pop culture, Netflix binge watching, photography, going to concerts, and all of her unfortunately pathetic South Florida sports teams.