Seeing Spots

Think animal prints are only for the fall and winter? Think again. A hint of animal print – like my personal favorite, leopard – adds a dose of unexpected edge to even your most summery outfits.  (Crisp white sundress? Check. Nautical stripes? Check.)  A full-on leopard outfit is a bit much for any time of year, but chic accessories in this feline-friendly pattern will leave everyone wondering, “How does she do it?”

It isn’t an easy look to master; there are several types of leopard print out there, and endless ways to wear them.  The rules are as follows:

1. Don’t choose a print that’s too brown.
  2. Likewise for ultra-small spots.  The bigger, the better.
  3. Do NOT mix with other animal prints. But you already knew that.
  4. Go au natural – stay away from busy prints and bright colors that can make your leopard print look tacky.  (Neutrals or rich colors work much better).
  5. (And finally) Stick to streamlined, yet chunky accessories, like hefty wedges and thick bangles.  Bonus points if you get your hands on something with calf hair – amazing texture, and inherently “wintery.” Love that.

{Clockwise from top left: Steve Madden Wedge ($158), Topshop Belt (£16), House of Harlow Clutch ($255), J.Crew Sandals ($228), Steve Madden Platforms ($158), Ted Rossi Bangle, Topshop Scarf (£16)}

Photo Credit: http://www.imtheitgirl.com/

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University