Pick-Up Tips From…Miss Unattached

The men in her life will always remember Miss Stevie Van Horn as “the girl who got away.” When it comes to commitment and relationships, Van Horn has a hard time settling down. Beginning her second year of pediatric nursing at Front Range Community College, Van Horn has made her life-goals a priority and pushed boys to the backburner.

CM: What is it about relationships that make you hesitant or indifferent?

S: I prefer to be single. It is the beauty of self-confidence—being able to be alone and independent—that keep me this way. I like doing my own thing and feeling free, and I would only feel tied down [in a relationship].

CM: Do you think that being unattached is a good or bad thing?

I think it can be good or bad depending on the person. I would love to be attached to someone that would treat me well and respectfully. Typically I think that being attached to a guy at this age is a terrible idea because of how immature we all are.

CM: When scoping out a guy, what are you careful to notice?

How he portrays himself to the public, if he is true to his words and how he interacts with other women.

CM: What’s the best place for a guy to approach you?

Some place classy like a coffee shop or somewhere random like a grocery store or Laundromat: something fun and personal.

CM: How do you prefer to get to know guys of interest?

The best way for me to get to know a guy genuinely is 100% through fun hikes, parading around the town, going to shows and cook-offs. Dinner and a movie is not my thing because I think it automatically gives me the idea that I need to act like a “lady,” be polite and a good date—and that is not me at all. I like to have fun.

CM: Describe your ideal guy. What qualities would capture your attention?

I think the main qualities for me in a guy would be humor and humility. I also need someone who is going to be pretty pushy with me because I have been single for so long: someone who can convince me verbally and show me that they deserve my attention.

CM: If you met a guy that you were interested in, would you make the first move and ask him out, or would you wait for him to do it?

I keep it fun and ask them to run around with me, or ask for their number. There is nothing scary about wanting to get to know someone and asking [them] to hang out, even if the outcome is just a friendship.

Junior > Marketing Communication and Writing > Mount Allison University

Violence in Congo Gains Attention

In the past six months, the world has seen a barely averted government shutdown in America, bankruptcy in Europe and...