Loving Lace

If someone were to ask me  what my all-time favorite trend was, my answer would easily be lace.  And not just because it is utterly feminine, perfectly demure, subtly textured, and shockingly versatile; no, it’smuch more than that.

Lace really it isn’t a “trend,” per say – the fabric has been around as early as the 14th century, and it reappears in new shapes and styles almost every season.  The variety and versatility of lace is simply unmatched, which makes it a winning look year after year.

This spring and summer, lace is truly better than ever.  Designers have moved past the coy sex appeal and edgy ruggedness we saw applied to lace in past seasons; instead, they are returning to the classic, demure sensibility that lace originally possessed.  Purely romantic, hyper-feminine and subtly vintage lace ensembles marched down the catwalks of Ralph Lauren, Erdem, D&G, and countless other major players {see below for my favorite looks}.  These softer, saccharine looks are packed with inspiration and super-simple styling ideas – even if you aren’t a lace-lover like me.

56m 48m34m49m 51m

{ top row: D&G, Erdem / middle row: Oscar de la Renta, Collette Dinnigan / bottom row: Ralph Lauren, Valentino }

For your own take on the newest lace style, try updating the feminine Erdem look.   Mixing and matching lace with florals, stripes, or other patterns creates subtle and chic juxtaposition — here, the light lace top complements the floral dress without looking busy.  Try something similar with a loose-fitting lace teeand floral skirt, like the ones below:

lace shirt00007358-04

If you would rather let lace take center stage in your ensemble, pair a delicate lace piece with something solid and more structured.  I love the combination of this vintage-inspired lace blouse andthe graphic mustard-yellow mini skirt; both pieces stand out on their own, but are unbelievably complementary when put together!

20500260_010_byellow skirt

This lace blouse would even look amazing paired with super-slim, high-waisted skinny jeans, like thisMadewell style.  The dark denim anchors the delicate, girly top for a sophisticated take on the girly trend.

No matter how you style it, lace will deliver a feminine, of-the-moment elegance you can’t find anywhere else!

image sources: style.com, forever21.com, madewell.com, urbanoutfitters.com

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

The Highest-Earning Majors

If you are looking to make some major cash right out of college, engineering might be the way to go....