Gala Glamour

This has been quite a stylish week.  Last Friday we had an elegant and historic Royal Wedding, and just a few days after was the unapologetically fabulous Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute Gala.  The common thread between the two?  None other than designer Alexander McQueen.

Kate Middleton's wedding gown was adapted from a vintage McQueen design by the McQueen creative director, Sarah Burton.  Praised for its demure elegance, simple shape, and unique details (like handmade lace, a sweetheart neckline and slight padding at the hips), this dress turned Sarah Burton into a household name. People all over the fashion industry are proclaiming lace will be a major trend this fall as a result of Kate's popular dress, and I can't say I disagree! (Check out the article I wrote about lace just last week).

Burton helped create Kate's second wedding dress as well, and I think I actually prefer it.  I love the nipped-in waist, embellishments, sleek A-line shape, and tiny, furry shrug! It seems to show more of Kate's personality and style, which of course is completely understated and glamorous.

{kate's first and second dresses}

Since the legacy of McQueen managed to take over one of the most historical weddings in history, it's no surprise the Met Gala celebrated the designer and their new exhibit of his designs, called "Savage Beauty." I can't get enough of the sheer glamour seen this year, especially the unique-but-still-elegant McQueen designs.  Here are some of my favorite looks from the night.

met7.jpg

Salma Hayek in an ethereal beige McQueen

Sarah Burton in a white grecian McQueen

Gisele Bundchen in a ruby-red McQueen

Isla Fischer in a glimmering Tory Burch

Alexa Chung in a short and chic Christopher Kane

Thandi Newton in a romantic Stella McCartney

Which one is your favorite?

image sources: style.com, eonline.com

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

Win a VIP Ticket & Flight to IGNITE’s 2018 San Francisco Summit and Coffee with an Elected Official!

Ready to take the next step on your political journey? College women can—and will—change the world for generations to come....