Ah, the joys of college: new friends, drunken hook-ups, a few good reads and…wait. Did something just die in here? Nope, the smelly guy in your class just walked in.
You know EXACTLY who I am talking about. You note the sweaty face and greasy hair and feel the dread of the few seconds between his entrance into the classroom and the moment he sits down…next to you…again. WHY?!
While you may employ my usual trick to avoid gaining scent of this kid: pop a piece of gum into your mouth and hope that the freshening mint burst will somehow mask the “I-haven’t-showered-since-last-Friday’s-sweaty-house-party-stench,” there’s no escaping without at least a whiff. And, to top it all off, not only does this smell affect your concentration because of its very scent, but the paranoia of whether someone else might think that YOU are actually the stinky one will be a constant thought throughout class.
Let’s face it; the independence of college is an issue for some students. Suddenly, mom’s not there to remind them that they “have to” shower if they ever want the girls to like them…So College Magazine proposes a deal: let us help you avoid being the smelly person in class.
First, abide by the following rules:
1. Lather, Rinse and Repeat… More than once a week. If your hair looks like you just took a shower, when in reality, you haven’t showered in a few days, it’s time for a wash. (See #5 to win free shampoo).
Photo by Joe Shlabotnik
2. Brush your teeth twice daily, and carry around some mints. Wisps are awesome little portable toothbrushes, for those who want to get fancy.
3. Don’t leave greasy food containers around your apartment from those late nights studying. Not only will it make your room smell like cheap nachos mixed with dirty socks, but that very smell will eventually stick to you, and you’ll probably have no idea since you’ve already grown accustomed to it. Yuck.
Photo by Flickr User WhitneyinChicago
4. Grab a clean shirt. When you have 10 minutes to get dressed and run to class, try not to grab the first shirt from the pile of clothes on your floor. It may seem clean, but unless you’ve febreezed that pile like crazy, it probably carries some remnants of last week… kegstand? Not exactly perfume.
5. Enter our contest to win a year’s supply of PERT Plus. Go to our CollegeMag Facebook page and share your most awkward shower experience: www.facebook.com/collegemag.