Fight For Change: Playlist

With the Occupy Wall Street movement spreading across the country, and even the globe, many notable musical talents have been performing for the protesters. While some of these songs have beats that will get you jumping in the heat of rebellion, others brandish lyrics that get to the heart of the matter.

1. World Wide Rebel Songs – The Nightwatchman/Tom Morello

Morello not only has a past of winning Grammy awards, but also performing at protests threatening civil liberties. One of his more recent musical acts, The Nightwatchman, is what Morello calls his “political folk alter ego.”

2. Words I Never Said (Featuring Skylar Grey) – Lupe Fiasco

Grey sings a emotional chorus about her regrets from not speaking her mind, but Fiasco lays everything out on the table with this undercover lyrically-charged hit.

3. Jesus Walks – Kanye West

“We are at war with terrorism, racism, but most of all we are at war with ourselves.” A somber epic of religion and society, West’s intimate verses describe the individual’s struggle within.

4. All These Things That I’ve Done – The Killers

Listen to the chorus singing, “I got soul, but I’m not a soldier,” to the tune of The Killers’ guitars. Then see how long it takes for the upbeat, yet soulful rock song to be stuck in your head.

5. American Idiot – Green Day

This song may be loud, obnoxious, and offensive, but it definitely can’t be ignored. Green Day criticizes propaganda, paranoia, and the media to embody a rebellious and unhappy generation.

6. Rebellion (Lies) – Arcade Fire

This Canadian indie band has been defying “normal” rock music since the early 2000s, and they continue to break out of the Suburban stereotypes today.

7. Bulls On Parade – Rage Against the Machine

Morello is also the guitarist for Rage Against the Machine, a band known for its political activism and rap metal style. The heavy beat will have you thrashing around in distinctive RATM style, but don’t forget the reason behind the music.

8. Where Is the Love (Featuring Justin Timberlake) – Black Eyed Peas

Even though the Black Eyed Peas are currently on a music hiatus, “Where Is the Love?” wraps up this list perfectly. The group matched melody with purpose in this 2003 hit from the album, Elephunk.

Talib Kweli also joined the Occupy Wall Street Protests in NYC, singing an a capella version of his new song, "Distraction."

Junior > Public Affairs and Journalism > Ohio State University

Win a Ticket to Young Women Run 2018 and Coffee With a Congresswoman!

“It all started when I met a Congresswoman for coffee,” you’ll say as you open your victory speech. College Magazine,...