Stacie Caplan>Senior>Film>University of Western Ontario
Kerri Pinchuk>Senior>Journalism>University of Maryland
With a new semester of school around the corner, a matching fall wardrobe is necessary to start your year off right. Stocking up on a few pricey pieces will take you far for the fall, but since high-end designer boutiques may not always be in your budget, be sure to scour stores that sell the same great trends for a reasonable price. Bring the catwalk to your campus with CM’s collection splurges and steals:
For the Ladies:
1. Welcome to the Jungle: Show off your wild side with faux fur outerwear. After fall runways debuted real-deal renditions by Michael Kors and scores more designers, fur is sure to be a hit trend this fall. It might cost you your summer babysitting funds, but this faux option will keep you warm into winter. $278, Juicy Couture, www.juicycouture.com.
2. We’ve Got the Chunk: Shining through another season, bold, chunky necklaces are back. Whether you prefer colorful stones, mixed metal chains, dazzling beads or rhinestones, big necklaces add pizzazz to any outfit. This bib necklace in gold or silver and will turn heads with jeans and a t-shirt for school, or a dress and heels for a night out. $12.80, Forever 21, www.forever21.com.
3. Cadet Cutie: You don’t have to be in ROTC to flaunt fatigues! From cargos to military-style jackets, Army green just may be the new black. Military jackets from Urban Outfitters have an antique feel, and can be paired with almost any outfit for a versatile, vintage look. $78, Urban Outfitters, www.urbanoutfitters.com.
4. Sweater Chic: Staying warm is necessary, but so is staying comfy. Put away the worn-out sweatshirt and opt for a knit sweater or dress instead. With warm leggings and fun flats, you’ll stay toasty and trendy all season long. This cable-knit wrap comes in four earthy colors that will take your closet (and your wallet) far. $34.50, Old Navy, www.oldnavy.com.
5. Clogging Around: Looking to add some style—and height—to your step? Try a pair of clogs! Perfect for a date or a day at the mall, they’re super comfortable and make a memorable statement. Varying in heel size, clogs glam up everything from jeans to dresses. This pair with buckle details makes it modern. $80, Aldo, www.aldoshoes.com.
For the Guys
1. Not Your Grandfather’s Cardigan: One way to stay warm and look dapper is with a cool cardigan. Matched with a simple v-neck t-shirt or layered under a button-down, cardigans work for any occasion. Try a fitted one with funky stripes or bold colors. This one will look great with jeans or khakis. $17.90, Forever 21, www.forever21.com.
2. Fall for Gingham: The classic picnic pattern is back, on everything from purses to pillowcases. Wanna add some trendy class to your wardrobe? A gingham shirt is a great place to start. Try the pattern on a button-down, perfect for a date or a night at the bar. J. Crew has a crisp, colorful selection. $69.50, J. Crew, www.jcrew.com.
3. Boot Camp: More specifically, rugged, tough, lace-up boots. The worn-in army-style kicks have been marching down runways and are the perfect jump-off from your typical sneaks. Daring enough to combat the trend? A splurge but sure to stand out, this pair says “tough guy with a stylish side.” $125, Urban Outfitters, www.urbanoutfitters.com.
4. Classic Cool: A timeless trend through any season, striped knits are a guy’s go-to top. Casual, versatile and lightweight, they’re easy to update and won’t break the bank. Take your summer stripes into fall with jeans and a military jacket, or layered over a long-sleeved tee. The v-neck and bold colors give this one a contemporary feel. $16.90, Forever 21, www.forever21.com.
5. It’s Not a Purse, It’s a Satchel: If you’re looking to carry your books in something more stylish than your old-school Jansport, opt for a messenger bag. It slings comfortably across the shoulder and is spacious enough to stash a laptop, snacks, and other school tools. This one, available in olive, blue and black, is our favorite. $98, Banana Republic, www.bananarepublic.com.