Daytime Sparkle

As a fashion enthusiast, I like to break the rules— rules like “you can’t wear white after labor day,” “less is more,” (especially that one) and “don’t feed the animals.” I especially like to toy with the adage that glitter, sequins, and all things sparkly are reserved only for nighttime events. So false! In fact, I think the best time for sparkle is during the day, when it can catch the light and blind any judgmental passers-by.

There’s just one guideline: You can’t wear head-to-toe gobs of glitter; resist the urge to don your new sequin mini-dress with that glitter-encrusted handbag and matching platforms (which are obviously these). Instead, choose just 1 sparkly item and juxtapose it with other pieces in your wardrobe.

Take the looks below, for example – I styled one around a sheer, sequined tee that basically screams “Take me out on the town!” But no, no way… I’m taking you to the grocery store, and adding a cozy neutral sweater, distressed jeans (of the painter/carpenter variety), oversized earthy jewelry, a slouchy bag, and contrasting satin flats (multiple textures, people). With these casual additions, the sequin tee moves away from its original fancy-pants demeanor and instead becomes unexpectedly chic and totally daytime-appropriate. It completes one of those outfits that will make other girls wonder, how did she think to put those pieces together? Because you’re a fashion savant, that’s why.

The next look achieves a similar awe-inspiring affect. Focused around a pair of grandpa-chic glitter loafers, I tossed in some neutral, undeniably casual basics that will let the shoes really stand out when I’m walking my dog at high noon. Cropped skinnies are a must; grab a pair of slim, loose-fitting cotton pants, cuff them at the ankle, and voila! Step 1 complete. Next, add a simple pullover knit, preferably one with a super-cute bow and an Isabel-Marant-ish oversized quality to it. Minimal jewelry and a rumpled cognac shoulder bag are the only accessories you really need! 

Photo Credit: savvybroad.com

Sophomore > Journalism and Art History > Indiana University

Win a VIP Ticket & Flight to IGNITE’s 2018 San Francisco Summit and Coffee with an Elected Official!

Ready to take the next step on your political journey? College women can—and will—change the world for generations to come....