50 by 2050 August Events

Summer may be winding down, but we’re not stopping our activism anytime soon. Our fall prep starts now. From volunteering at events or joining training sessions, our 50 by 2050 partners will get you in the best shape for a semester in politics. Want even more experience? Our partners offer countless internship opportunities so you can learn how to empower other young women to run for office.

AUGUST EVENTS

AUGUST 1: HIGHER HEIGHTS: #BlackWomenLead Summer Political Leadership Training Webinar

• 7:30-8:30 p.m.
  • Trainer Leila McDowell will lead the webinar, “Being in the Spotlight,” offering tips on the best ways to get your message across.

AUGUST 3: EMERGE AMERICA: 2018 Fresno Recruitment Salon

• Fresno, CA
  • 6-7:30 p.m. at United Food and Commercial Workers
  • Join a Recruitment Salon to learn about EMERGE CA and how it can help you run for office.

AUGUST 4: EMERGE AMERICA: 2018 Napa/Solano/Contra Costa Recruitment Salon

• Benicia, CA
  • 6-7:30 p.m. at the Law Offices of Dana Dean

AUGUST 5: HRC: 2017 HRC Orange County Garden Party

• San Juan Capistrano, CA
  • 4-8 p.m. at The Residence of May and Charles Deischter
  • Celebrate LGBTQ Equality by enjoying a cocktail reception, silent auction and thought-provoking speakers. A general admission ticket is $100, but consider the networking opportunities endless.

AUGUST 6: EMERGE AMERICA: 2018 Orange County Recruitment Salon

• Fullerton, CA
  • 2-5 p.m. at 1411 Melody Lane
  • Join a Recruitment Salon to learn about EMERGE CA and how it can help you run for office. Featuring special guest Tustin City Councilmember and EMERGE America Letitia Clark.

AUGUST 8: HIGHER HEIGHTS: #BlackWomenLead Summer Political Leadership Training Webinar

• 7:30-8:30 p.m.
  • Trainer Kimberly Peeler-Allen will lead the webinar, “Black Women Make It Rain: Getting the resources you need to tell your story.”

AUGUST 12: HRC: 6th Annual HRC San Diego Gala Dinner & Auction

• San Diego, CA
  • 5-10 p.m. at Hotel del Coronado
  • Blue Shield of California presents this year’s annual gala to celebrate LGBTQ equality across America and helping those who still experience injustice. Senator Toni Atkins will be honored as the HRC Leader for Equality Award Winner.

AUGUST 19: EMERGE AMERICA: 2018 Webinar Recruitment Salon

• 5:30-6 p.m.
  • Join this free, online Recruitment Salon to learn about EMERGE CA and how it can help you run for office.

AUGUST 22: HIGHER HEIGHTS: #BlackWomenLead Summer Political Leadership Training Webinar

• 7:30-8:30 p.m.
  • Trainer Jehmu Greene will lead the seminar, “Run As You Are: Ready to jump in, but don’t know where to start?”

AUGUST 24: HRC: Dallas Pride Kickoff & Volunteer Round Up

• Dallas, TX
  • 6:30-8 p.m. at 3912 Cedar Springs Road
  • Want to volunteer at this year’s festival or walk with HRC in Sunday’s parade? Join 2017 Dallas Pride event.

AUGUST 26: HRC: Annual Cleveland Gala

• Cleveland, OH
  • 6 p.m. at Hilton Cleveland Downtown Hotel
  • The HRC is honoring  author Connie Shultz and Christine Howey at this year’s annual gala. Attend the event in style or reach out to volunteer.

APPLY NOW

EMERGE AMERICA

Fall communications internship in D.C. office: Apply here

Fall finance internship in D.C. office: Apply here

Fall internship in San Francisco office: Apply here

VICTORY FUND

Communications internship: Apply here

Special events internship: Apply here

Political internship: Apply here

Fundraising internship: Apply here

RUNNING START

Fall 2017 internships: Apply here

HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN

Semester internships in Washington, D.C., Alabama, Arkansas or Mississippi: Apply Here

GET INVOLVED

IGNITE

Join or Start your own campus chapter

RUNNING START

Join #ILookLikeAPolitician

Bring Elect Her to Your Campus: More info

EMILY’S LIST

Run to Win

Training to run for office: Apply here

Help women run for office: Apply here

EMERGE AMERICA

Training to run for office: More info

Join a Regional Boot Camp in your area: More info

Learn more about the 2018 application and training program at one of its in-person Recruitment Salons: More info

HIGHER HEIGHTS

Host a salon & Engage members of community: More info

SHE SHOULD RUN

Nominate yourself to run for office: Get started here

HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN

Become a student member: Apply here

POWERFUL WOMEN LEADERS

Representative Ilhan Omar 

“I think that with every single conversation that I have, and even I think that all the criticisms and backlash, that I feel are rewarding because I know that it allows me to challenge those narratives and allows me to have a conversation about that particular thing someone is criticizing me for. And I know that in that fight to change that narrative that it’s not only about me but it’s about millions of people who share one of the identities that I carry that might be under attack at that particular moment.”

City Attorney Mara Elliott

powerful woman leader mara elliott

Mara Elliott

“I love being the problem solver in the room, not the obstacle. When you’re in public service you identify what’s going to make your community better, and you can put all your energy to try and find that solution.”

L.A. Council Member Nury Martinez

Nury Martinez

Mariya is a junior at the George Washington University studying English/ Creative Writing and Journalism. When she's not watching crime shows, dancing to 80's music or cooking, you'll find her talking about her #OnlyatGW moments. Like any college student, she loves taking advantage of every (free) thing D.C. has to offer.

powerful woman leader ilhan omar
Powerful Women Leaders: Representative Ilhan Omar

With the 2016 election, America witnessed two monumental moments in political history. In the East, Donald Trump, the unconventional Republican...