10 Things I Want My Girlfriend To Know

1.) Tell me what you want to do, what you like and what you won't put up with. I’m not a mind reader; sorry, but I’m awful at picking up your cues.

-Samuel G., Hamilton College

2.) Yes, jealousy can be both healthy and dangerous to a relationship. No, this doesn't mean you should try to make me jealous on purpose.

-Tye H., United States Air Force

3.) Stop wearing so much makeup. You’re already pretty; I don’t want to be in bed with Disco Barbie.

-Chris D., Haverford College

4.) I like it when you’re into the same things that I’m into. It’s awesome when you yell at the Knicks game we’re watching on the TV together.

-Tyler R., Montclair State University

5.) I don’t want to have to change my clothing style, my tastes or myself to get you to like me. Love me the way I am, or not at all.

-Mike B., University of Michigan – Ann Arbor

6.) I wish you’d initiate sex more often! Women have just as much control over a relationship as men do these days; it’s hot when you take the lead once in a while.

-Justin C., Vassar College

7.) I like being a gentleman. If I open the door for you, pull out your chair or pay for dinner, it’s not my oppressive patriarchy shining through. Whatever happened to chivalry and romance?

-Jack V., Brown University

8.) I’m sorry if I look at other girls when they pass me. It’s not because I don’t think you’re beautiful! I think all women are beautiful, but I only love you.

-Matt R., University of Southern California

9.) Stop getting mad at me when I don’t text you back right away. I’m either busy, lazy or don’t know what to say. I like it much better when we’re actually together; this way, I can physically show you how much I care about you.

-Charlie F., Rider University

10.) Don’t change who you are for me. Just like the song, I like you just the way you are. And if you do change, do it for yourself and no one else.

-Dan K., Ursinus College

Always strive to be direct with your significant other. I know it’s hard, but we’ll all be better off for it in the end. We all appreciate a little honesty and communication in our relationships. As for my advice? Here’s my simple but important bonus request: be open to every possibility in a relationship. 

Junior > Media Studies and English > Vassar College