CM’s Guide to San Diego State University

San Diego State University is home to the beach-loving, sun bathing youth of Southern California. From the fraternity bros to the dedicated students found in the depths of Love Library, SDSU caters to every undergrad who steps on its hallowed grounds.

The Vibe

Almost Always Sunny

A Typical Day at SDSU

If you start your day at 8 a.m., what you’ll likely see as you walk the shimmering asphalt by the residence halls are students trudging across the Pedestrian Bridge and through the Aztec Student Union, dreading their early bird course. Once the caffeine kicks in and the sun starts rising, the vibe shifts into a city within a university. While any college campus may seem larger than life at first glance, once you know the shortcuts and walkways, getting from one end to the other becomes a mere ten minute walk. Students walk in large groups down Campanile Walkway in the middle of campus while simultaneously avoiding bike riders and skateboarders as they hastily make their way towards Hepner Hall, the icon of San Diego State University.

At any time during the year, Love Library will be filled to capacity with students studying for midterms two weeks in. It is also a great place for students to get away from the upbeat life that lies beyond the dome of the library. Yes students study here. And contrary to popular belief, SDSU is home to amazing programs in both Business and Nursing.

SDSU is a proud party school. Whether it’s a party on frat row or an Aztec Nights event early in the year, you will always be able to find a crowd of unassuming freshmen sniffing out their very first college party. While a lot of the parties are exclusive to Greek Life, it isn’t hard to find a party if you’re looking for one.

The Numbers

27,809 Undergrad Students

33% Graduate within 4 Years.

28:1 Student:Faculty Ratio

27+ Majors Offered

24 Sports Options Offered (Basketball, Rowing, and Football are the most popular)

50+ Clubs and Organizations

44 fraternities and sororities total (22 even between the two)

250,000 students annual attendance at football games

Price Tag

In-State: $26,158

Out-of- State: $37,318

Average Financial Aid: $10,400

Getting In

SAT: 490-590 (Critical Reading), 510-610 (Math), and 480-590 (Writing)

37% admittance rate

Nov. 30 application deadline

Top 3 Majors

Business/Marketing

Social Sciences

Psychology

Bragging Rights

1. The Associated Press ranked SDSU’s Basketball team #13 in the nation for the 2013-2014 season.

2. SDSU is one of the first colleges to offer an LGBT Studies Major/Minor.

3. U.S. News also ranked SDSU in the Top 20 Schools for Ethnic Diversity.

“The best thing about going to SDSU is the atmosphere. I feel comfortable going to school here. It’s now extremely diverse which is great.”

–Melissa Seng, Senior, Psychology Major

Jason Credo is a fourth-year English major at San Diego State University. He hopes to one day be able to write an Emmy award-winning TV show that gets ten seasons and then becomes syndicated.