Welcome to Rejected Resumes

Rosella Eleanor LaFevre > Sophomore > Temple University, Photo by Catherine Finsness > George Washington University

Are you worried your resume might cost you that coveted internship? College Magazine to the rescue! Each week in Rejected Resumes, we show your resumes to the experts so you can get to sleep at night. This week, we’re checking out a College Magazine editor’s resume. Although she got the job, she made a few mistakes we’re hoping to save you from making. Here are some tips that apply to every resume:

1. List your most relevant experience first.
Here, the editor’s most relevant experience was serving as associate editor on Wooden Teeth literary magazine, which is listed at the end of her activities section.

2. List relevant experience and customer service or retail jobs separately.
In this resume, the applicant lists two jobs in the food industry, and all of her relevant experience is filed under Activities. She should have had a section for Relevant Experience that was separate from her other work and her clubs and activities.

3. The description of each work experience should be in third person.
This resume has third-person descriptions of duties performed in each position in bulleted list form, which is totally right. The more experiences you have, of course, the more you’ll need to conserve space, so these descriptions can also be written in paragraph form.

4. List your GPA if it’s a 3.0 or higher.
In the below resume, the editor did not include her GPA, something that the publisher of College Magazine needed to see when considering her for the position.

5. List workshops, summer programs, and study abroad experiences as Education.
In this editor’s resume, she listed these things as Related Experience. Unless you’re applying for a job in international relations, your study abroad experience doesn’t count as relevant experience.

6. Under Skills, don’t list attributes that any employer would expect, like “works well with others” or “proficient typist.”
If you don’t possess basic skills like note taking and proficiency with online email programs, you’re in deep trouble. Instead, list important or unique skills like “AP Style” and “copyediting” for those applying for a position as an editor, or languages you speak other than English.

7. If you’ve been published, list those publications on your resume
This editor listed her creative writing publications under Skills, but she could have devoted a section to publications alone and listed the titles of the works and the name of the magazines where they appeared.

Be sure to check back every week to learn more. And don’t be shy! If you’re not sure about your resume, send it in!