Top 5 Reasons To Talk To Your Advisor

By Alexandria Sese > Sophomore > English > University of Illinois, Photo by Angelo State University

Here are a few reasons why your academic advisors should be an essential part of your college career:

1. Your education isn’t going to take care of itself 
Gone are the days when your teachers and parents go out of their way to help you make the most of your education.

You’re all grown up now and speaking with an academic advisor is the first step to take responsibility for your education. But they won’t know you need assistance if you don’t step into their office, pick up the phone, or send them an e-mail.

2. Advisors are there for your families, too
Your family is an essential part of your education. Dr. Elizabeth Teagan, Ph.D. says that in order to fully help a student, she and other advisors must gain the trust of their students and their families. Only then can advisors really get to issues students need resolved and help craft a personalized solution for them. As the director of Texas Tech University Advising, she continually works with students on an individual level to help them with their unique concerns.

3. They hook you up
“The reason for success,” says Teagan, “is the use of resources.” The job of academic advisors is not to tell you what to do with your education but, rather, point you to the direction of people, programs, and other resources that can help you in your goals. Teagan once had a student who didn’t do well in his first semester in college but greatly improved after going to an advisor and discovering all the resources that could have helped him in the first place, such as writing centers. “Don’t be afraid to seek out those resources,” says Teagan. To make the search easier and more efficient, talk to academic advisors who know which resources are best for you needs.

4. Advising good for your school      
“Academic advising is the centerpiece of retention” says Teagan. She explains that through advising, more students are finding it easier to succeed in college which in turn helps their institution. “It’s less expensive to retain students than to recruit new ones,” explains Teagan. The money the institution saves isn’t only beneficial to the school but can also be good for you. The less money they spend on recruiting, the more money they can spend on your education.

5. You can’t do everything online
Although scheduling your classes online is much more convenient than going into your academic advisor’s office, there are many things that a website just can’t do. Your academic advisor, who will know you more personally than a website, can tell you if you are taking too much than you can handle or if you can challenge yourself further. Additionally, an advisor job is “preparing students for a world [they] have not experienced,” says Teagan. The task of the academic advisor is three-fold, according to Teagan. They are there to help you discover who you are, how you fit in your academic environment, and how you will fit in the job market. The job market is constantly changing and it is best to seek advice from a professional who has your best interests at heart.