Top 10 Songs For Your Christmas Playlist

Good news, folks—it’s December. You don’t have to feel guilty about listening to Christmas songs anymore. So go ahead and queue up that Christmas playlist, break out the hot cocoa, don your gay apparel and make sure these songs are in the mix so you can fully immerse yourself in a land of Christmas cheer and denial that finals are coming.

1. “Christmas Lights” by Coldplay

What an underrated song. This gentle melody is by no means a “Christmas Classic,” but it should be. You know how Coldplay is really good at making songs that reach into your soul and move it to another plane of existence? Yeah. This is one of those.

2. “Carol of the Bells” by John Williams

A classic that gets you into a weird, epic mood. Maybe that’s because you associate it with Home Alone and you only ever listen to it as you clutch a broom in your apartment and proclaim, “This is my house. I have to defend it.” You do you.

3. “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby

This better already be in your playlist. Can you even have Christmas without Bing Crosby? I’m pretty sure that would be a punishable offense. This one will bring you back to the good old days when you had no adult responsibilities at all. And besides everything on your wish list, what more could you ask for?

4. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee

This is the Christmas equivalent of a banger. Put this baby on when you’re decorating your place with your roommates, break out a bottle of candy cane vodka and have an impromptu dance party. It can also be substituted for Bobby Helms’ “Jingle Bell Rock,” if you want to get your Mean Girls on.

5. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams

This is a great addition if you really want to bask in the irony of it for a moment or two. “It’s the most wonderful time of the year,” you sing along as tears stream down your face. It has been 2 days since you last slept. You’re considering a caffeine IV. Time has lost all meaning. It’s exam season.

6. “All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey

Classic cult status aside, this song is perfect for a gathering with friends where the wine has been flowing for a few hours. You want to know true Christmas joy? Listen to you and your friends trying to hit those high notes. Record that. Watch it again tomorrow. Save it for blackmail.

7. “Believe” by Josh Groban

Who remembers The Polar Express? You better. This was hands down the best song off that soundtrack and if it doesn’t give you goosebumps, you’re probably lying. Also, it’s Josh Groban. The man has a voice that was crafted by angels specifically for Christmas music.

8. “Silent Night” by All Angels

Speaking of angels, this is the most beautiful rendition of “Silent Night” I have ever had the pleasure to experience. It sounds like a literal chorus of angels.

9. “Snow Miser/Heat Miser” from A Year Without A Santa Claus

Listen. Listen. I know this is a weird one but come on. After one listen, it’s stuck in your head until the new year. Also, it’s a great childhood throwback. If you didn’t see this movie as a child, I’m sincerely sorry that your parents didn’t love you enough to let you experience this masterpiece.

10. “Sleigh Ride” by Pentatonix

A modern twist on an old classic. This rendition is guaranteed to get you jazzed up. You may even be inspired to try your hand at acapella, though if you’re anything like the rest of us, it probably won’t be pretty.

Senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying English with a creative writing emphasis. Lover of movie scores, thunderstorms, and superheroes. And dogs.