Top 20 Colleges for Aspiring Writers

Get the latest ranking of Top 10 Schools for Aspiring Writers 2016 here.

What will you do with a creative writing major? Prepare for the skeptics—a creative writing major is not for the faint of heart. If you’re serious about your craft, you’ll need a creative writing program that will whip your writing into shape. We’ve uncovered programs with reputable alumni and faculty, scholarship opportunities, inventive writing courses and thriving literary magazines. We’re talking programs so exclusive they often require a manuscript application. No school can guarantee you’ll be the next great American author, but these ten will get you pretty damn close.

2 of 11

9. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

6337955635_4dfe9e1a4c_z.jpg

Flickr user InSapphoWeTrust

Imagine writing for Quarto, the same literary magazine that once featured J.D. Salinger. Edwidge Danticat and poet Louise Gluck also top the list of notable formerQuarto contributors. Columbia’s program cultivated Pulitzer Prize winners, Poet Laureates and notable authors such as Mitch Albom, Langston Hughes, Jack Kerouac and Patricia McCormick. Prepare to join an alumni network of stars.

2 of 11

Meaghan is a junior English and Communications major at Boston College. She enjoys going to concerts, taking photos, catching the train home to Cranston, Rhode Island to play outside with her three nephews and dining hall cookies.

10 Books to Blow Your Mind According to College Students

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World Picture this—Your phone broke. Your laptop died. There’s not a TV with cable...