The Sex Question of the Day is…

How exact does the time you take the pill have to be? Can you be a couple of hours late? 

Dr. Sawyer: Taking the pill at the same time every day is recommended partly because it reinforces the action of taking the pill every day, so women are less likely to forget. Taking the pill a couple of hours late is extremely unlikely to make any difference, and even missing one pill may not be a problem. Missing two pills would be a cause for concern and a back up method, like condoms, should be used. Having said that, the pill definitely works best if taken at the same time every day so women should try to get on a regular pill-taking schedule.

Dr. Robin Sawyer is a professor of health and human sexuality at the University of Maryland. He's the author of Sexpertise: Real Answers to Real Questions About Sex and producer of four films on human sexuality. Want his answers? Send your questions to [email protected] We’ll keep it confidential.

Freshman > Media & Cultural Studies > University of California, Riverside