The Sex Question of the Day is…

Can precum get you pregnant?

Dr. Sawyer: There is a possibility that pre-ejaculatory fluid (posh name for ‘precum’) may contain live sperm from the last time a man ejaculated, so if the man’s playing Russian roulette with pregnancy by using the pull out method, there is a chance that his hookup may be pregnant by about the time he actually withdraws. The lifespan of sperm once it passes the ejaculatory ducts is about 72 hours, so very theoretically, if the man hasn’t ejaculated for about three days, then very theortically, there may be no live sperm in evidence. But really …. how many college men haven’t ejaculated in the past three days? Moot point!

Dr. Robin Sawyer is a professor of health and human sexuality at the University of Maryland. He's the author of Sexpertise: Real Answers to Real Questions About Sex and producer of four films on human sexuality. Want his answers? Send your questions to [email protected] We’ll keep it confidential.

Freshman > Media & Cultural Studies > University of California, Riverside