The Sex Question of the Day is…

What are the best lubricants and how are they effective at stimulating libido?

Dr. Sawyer: There are a bunch of lubricants on the market today, but NONE of them will increase your libido (sex drive).   They do what their name suggests – they provide lubrication.  The first developed lubes were just that, and were merely intended to make up for a deficit in natural lubrication, but today’s array of lubricants are way more exotic and appeal to the idea of spicing up the action, just look at some of the names: Sensual Silk, Intense Arousal, Pre-Seed Intimate, Tingling Jelly, My Boy Butter, (and the You’ll Never Know it isn’t Boy Butter relative), Fire and Ice if you really want to heat up or freeze your genitals, and of course if the mood takes you, Anal Lube. Simply stated, there are three main types of lubricants and each has its pros and cons. Water-based lubes are easy to clean up and are less likely to cause yeast infections, but don’t last as long. Oil-based lubes tend to have more slipperiness and last longest, but can lead to yeast infections and tend to break down latex condoms.  Silicone-based lubes are longer lasting than water-based lubes, but require longer clean up times, can stain sheets and clothing.  It’s all a matter of taste.

Dr. Robin Sawyer is a professor of health and human sexuality at the University of Maryland. He's the author of Sexpertise: Real Answers to Real Questions About Sex and producer of four films on human sexuality. Want his answers? Send your questions to [email protected] We’ll keep it confidential.

Freshman > Media & Cultural Studies > University of California, Riverside