Ten Equations to a Perfect Thanksgiving

Nicole Eisenberg>Sophomore>Marketing and Finance>University of Maryland, College Park
To college students, Thanksgiving is often celebrated by gorging on the smorgasbord of food to celebrate the absence of diner food for a few days, seeing friends from high school to catch up on laughs, and bonding with the family to restore the insanity. Although these are all part of the common denominator of any old Thanksgiving, every person’s perfect equation manifests in a slightly different way.

1. For Izzy Budnick, sophomore at Case Western Reserve University, Thanksgiving is always a huge production with 40-50 guests at his grandmother’s house.

2. Julia Barnett, sophomore at Syracuse University, explains that her family’s celebration is more of an ‘English’ one rather than a ‘Math’-based one. After dinner, her family plays a grueling round of Scrabble. Barnett explains that, “it starts out as fun and games, but it slowly becomes more competitive as each game is played. In the end, no matter who has won the most games, we remember it’s just a game, and it brings us closer together as a family!”

3. Savannah College of Art and Design sophomore, Kerry Stephens, explains that her Thanksgiving is all about the π (pie). There are normally two pumpkin, two apple, two s’more, one pecan, and one mince meat pie at her Thanksgiving table.

4. After Thanksgiving dinner for Jennifer Lowe, sophomore at the University of Delaware, the whole party of 35 gathers in the family room to watch the movie Elf. “We always start the evening with a ‘Happy Thanksgiving’ and end it with a ‘Merry Christmas’,” she explains.

5. For Alyssa Langer, freshman at Boston University, Thanksgiving dinner is also partially about what comes after. She goes to the same family friends’ house every year and after dinner watches “CNN Heroes,” a special about everyday people changing the world—but not before the annual competition to see the maximum amount of helpings each person can get.

6. Thanksgiving dinner is always a marathon for Jack Plowe, sophomore at Sarah Lawrence College. He explains that his dinner is always filled with “very loud, very fun dinner conversation that pretty much doesn’t stop for 4+ hours.”

7. Kiernan Michau, sophomore at Harvard University, only has one main (square) root to her problem: since her mom and her siblings grew up in Italy, she has to choose between double the food. “My family does a weird mix of traditional American Thanksgiving food and delicious Italian food,” says Michau. But she’s not complaining!

8. Sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, Jessica Filderman, is looking forward to going back to her high school where the last four graduating classes and the current seniors are invited back for a pancake breakfast on Thanksgiving morning.

9. Max Meneveau, sophomore at Cornell University, explains that his dad, a professor at Johns Hopkins University, “always invites his graduate students over because most of them don’t have family here in the U.S., and many of them don’t know about what the holiday is all about. It’s nice to be family for them when they are so far from home and their own relatives.”

10. If you watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV this year, make sure to look out for Alex Grassi, sophomore at Franklin & Marshall College. He and his family go to the giant parade in New York every year.

Does your family have some other derivative to celebrating Thanksgiving? Please dish!