Why Picking A Major is Majorly Stressful

The most common question you get asked in college is, “What’s your major?” It’s safe to say that your major becomes part of your identity, whether you like it or not. Don’t believe me? There are so many people whose names I just can’t remember so I simply refer to them as “that one guy majoring in (insert major) – you know, the one that (insert unique characteristic).” Thanks to the importance of majors, it’s no easy feat to choose and here’s why.

1. Narrowing your choices

Please tell me I’m not the only one interested in about 4,387 different subjects. No? Okay, good. Then you understand why it’s so difficult having to narrow your focus down to just one (or two) majors. Fact is, for the sake of time and money you simply can’t major in all of your interests… unless you become James Franco and have about a million different degrees.

Elizabeth is a junior at University of Washington majoring in Journalism and Comparative Literature. She's always trying to be less sarcastic and always fails miserably. One time she met George Clooney and everything in the world made sense for those precious three seconds.